How to hatch silkworm eggs

Not hard, glue the eggs to the center of a petridish, leave them at room temperature for 7-10 days, and 24-48 after they hatch feed them, and feed them a little bit every day for the next 2 weeks and you've got small silkworms :)

Just make sure you purchase some food with the eggs so you can feed the little buggers!

-Dave

You need an acid-free gluestick, there's actually some available on GeorgiaBugs.com on the Food/Supplies page. They keep for about 2-3 months in the fridge when they're fresh like the ones we have now, these just came into the country about a week ago.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen that thread posted in other threads lol If only I had a nickel...

Hey Dave. I have a question also. Ive bred some silkies and actually got some:eek: of the eggs to hatch. I kept them in my fridge for 2 months but my problem is. I let them lay the eggs on news paper. How do you get the eggs off of the paper. It feels if I try to pick them off then I would ruin the eggs and its such a pain to cut around the paper and put them in the dishesIs there an easy way to get them off the paper.

Hmmm. Im feeling it might just be easier to but a boatload off of you and keep some in the fridge and hatch as necessary;)

The eggs that you buy from me are laid on a special paper (the name of which Im not sure of) that makes it very easy for breeders to scrape the eggs off the paper without damaging the eggs. Breeding and hatching is just too much work to do both. We even buy our eggs elsewhere, but if you really want to lay your own eggs, I would breed the moths, then put a toilet paper roll over the female after breeding so she stays in one place when laying. That way you can just cut out the little circle and hatch it when you need to :) If you scrape the eggs off of newspaper, you very well might damage the egg. Natural eggs are iffy, sometimes they don't hatch within the 2 month period and take another solid year to hatch (based upon the natural lifecycle of a silkmoth). If I were you, I would really just buy the eggs, especially when they're on sale like they are now, I've got 25k with your name on it :)

-Dave

Why bother to glue the eggs to anything?
I get an old (cleaned) plastic container, put a scrap of paper towel on the bottom, spirnkle eggs loose on the paper towel, leave the container on ashelf in the chameleon room, and wait. It doesnt take log for them to hatch. When they do, feed them. the end.

Unfortunately searching on silkworm 101 means you are only searching on the word silworm (the search function on this forum annoyingly drops all short words).

Thanks Dave. Im betting the paper is wax paper, Maybe:eek: What a great Idea of putting the females in a contained area after mating. I think your right about just buying them though. SOOO much easier. The ones with my name on them will have to wait;) I have 5000 about 2/3 of an inch right now so Im good for a little while. However I have been wanting to "check you guys out" and of course help out a site sponsor:) Im sure you will hear from me soon.

Thanks Cain :) I look forward to seeing your order!

And Sandra is right, you don't have to glue them down, but it helps to detach the egg from the worm, however the fibers of a paper towel might help to accomplish the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom