How to handle?

ogomogo

Hi everyone, maybe its a weird question but , how can i handle my chameleon? he is about 5 months old veiled chameleon. (I own him for 3 months) Thanks for any answer. :)

Thanks for you answer but i have already seen that video :). But my chameleon wont stay like that while i'm trying to hold him. He scares from me too much. When i get near the cage he runs and hides.

Get him used to you like you would a bird or something. Just place your hand in the cage, don't shy away if he hisses or whatever, just try to be as unthreatening but present as possible. Just do this for a few weeks, putting your hand near him, til he calms down a bit, and try touching him gently, petting him and such, then put your hand in front of him, let him walk onto you, so on and so forth. I guess I'm lucky, mine I just got last night and he eats out of one hand while I hold him with the other.

One way is to get him to associate your hand with food, you will slowly gain his trust. Also, never grab them...always go up under his feet and don't force him, let him slowly walk into your hand. I usually hold a finger out so mine can wrap his tail around it, it helps him get his balance. If you get him to go on your hand, I would offer him a treat to reward him for doing what you want. Some chameleons want nothing to do with being held, so just be careful. And if you see him getting stressed, I would leave him alone. Best of luck :)

Try scooping him up from underneath, if you reach in his cage and grab him from the top he might think you are trying to attack him. Also it is normal for him to run and hide, but once you hold him he will be alright.:)

food association is gold, slowly try to hand feed him while he is in his cage on his own turf. he will slowly associate your hand with "good" as it brings him yummy treats, this will stop him from running from your hand, then you can try to handle him easier :)

:)I have a very grumpy 8 month female yemen, it took time and patients but I got her used to hand feeding using silk, wax and meal worms which she could only have from hand feeding from me so she associated my hand to food, also fiddle with vines so she knows your hands not an imposter.

I then placed food gradually further up my arm so she had to walk up my arm to get it. it took time (2-3 months) of patients and if she didnt play ball i didnt force her but shes quite happy being handled now still hisses but shes just hot air now and will climb on my hand if I approach underneath her.

hope this helps

Thanks for you answer but i have already seen that video :). But my chameleon wont stay like that while i'm trying to hold him. He scares from me too much. When i get near the cage he runs and hides.

Search handling. On other posts i explained my whole process i use to get my 2 veiled chameleons to walk onto my hand and be vary social. If i rember right one of the posts is called HANDLING QUESTIONS i hope this helps
Also .my chams are veilds and my female is a yr and my male is 5 months and they both walk right to me and onto my hand

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for you helps. :) I handled him for the first time today without any hiss or black colouration. :D

Back
Top Bottom