How to give baby veiled fruit flies

ken2414

Established Member
My ? is how to gve a baby veiled fruit flies without them getting out of the container and going everywhere since i have a screen cage?
I read you could use a peice of fruit to keep them in the container but what if my veiled strikes the fruit while the fly is on it and choke? Is there a better method??

My ? is how to gve a baby veiled fruit flies without them getting out of the container and going everywhere since i have a screen cage?
I read you could use a peice of fruit to keep them in the container but what if my veiled strikes the fruit while the fly is on it and choke? Is there a better method??

chop the piece of fruit very small or mash them so he won't b impacted.
it's perfectly fine for your veiled to eat fruit.

My veiled loves fruit flies more than he does crickets. I've tried putting a piece of fruit in my screen cage on 2 separate occassions. One in his feeder cup & the other one hanging from a vine. Believe me, the fruit flies do not congregate where the fruits are. They are all over the cage. Most of them crawling up the sides of the cage.

So I have crickets and fruit flies in my room living with me.. LOL. It's not so bad though. At least they're not huge. Just pinhead crickets and flies.

I tried oranges and mushed blackberries. I'll have to try bananas and strawberries next time. Maybe that will make a difference? :)

For using fruit flies, the easieast way I have found to feed them is to use a cup as big as the ones you make your fruit fly cultures in, put fruit flies in there and put the cup at an angle sloping downwads towards the bottom of the cup. The fruit flies have a hard time climbing out of them and the baby chams can still get to them. Also dust the flies and this makes it even harder for them to climb out. Hope this helps!!

For any babies I've had that are small enough to eat fruit flies, I just free range them. If you get the wingless or flightless ones, they don't go too far. But, if you want to attract them to a piece of fruit, do like Dean said, put a big piece of fruit in there. No worries about a baby eating it.

I had the same problem, so I have hit on this procedure: I feed the babies in a separate container, really just a large piece of gladware with a lid. I keep it open a crack for air. And I have a small perch in there, if the baby wants it. The advantages, besides not losing too many flies, is that I can control how much they are eating, or at least I KNOW how much they are eating, and I can make sure that each one gets a fair chance to eat. Also, instead of putting fruit in, I control where the fruit flies stay, with light. I cover half of the translucent lid. The flies congregate in the light corner. (The air holes are in the opposite corner.) I think this makes it a bit easier for the baby, so the flies don"t swarm him, and he does not get too confused with flies all over the place. I leave the baby in there for a session in the morning, and a session in the afternoon. Looking forward to ditching the fruit flies...

Back
Top Bottom