How to get Vekter Out

Hi I’ve had my Cham for about 2 months most of the time I take him out he hisses n even opens his mouth n tries to snap. When I first got him he wouldn’t make as much of a deal as he does now. I have an outside tree for him so he can get sun so I want it to be easier to grab him. Usually I wait for him to get on a branch where I can grab him easy and put my fist out in front of him n bump his tail alil so he climbs on.. he doesn’t change colors to dark brown anymore instead he gets a very bright green once I get him out the cage. I was wondering how I can make him actually want to come out. Once he is out he is fine with climbing on me and moving around. So I guess I jus want it to be easier to actually get him out.

Hi I’ve had my Cham for about 2 months most of the time I take him out he hisses n even opens his mouth n tries to snap. When I first got him he wouldn’t make as much of a deal as he does now. I have an outside tree for him so he can get sun so I want it to be easier to grab him. Usually I wait for him to get on a branch where I can grab him easy and put my fist out in front of him n bump his tail alil so he climbs on.. he doesn’t change colors to dark brown anymore instead he gets a very bright green once I get him out the cage. I was wondering how I can make him actually want to come out. Once he is out he is fine with climbing on me and moving around. So I guess I jus want it to be easier to actually get him out.
Welcome to the joys of owning a veiled chameleon.

Try his favorite feeder, if he’s motivated by food you can get him out that way. That way is less stressful...he could be going through puberty lol. How old is he?
Yea he most likely is due to the fact that he’s around 7 months that’s why I’m still trynna work wit him so he gets used to me when he’s an adult lol (hopefully) but ok I will try his favorite feeders thank you !

Bemans blog on building trust would be the best guide to follow.

If you have been "grabbing" him out of his cage previously, you may not be able to build up a trust with him. Veiled can, and in most cases do, become very territorial and defensive as they get older and larger.

Think about it, hes just minding his own business then you come along and he gets plucked out of his home and doesn't know what is going on. All he sees is this big animal holding him. Big animal naturally mean predator to avoid to him.

Bemans blog on building trust would be the best guide to follow.

If you have been "grabbing" him out of his cage previously, you may not be able to build up a trust with him. Veiled can, and in most cases do, become very territorial and defensive as they get older and larger.

Think about it, hes just minding his own business then you come along and he gets plucked out of his home and doesn't know what is going on. All he sees is this big animal holding him. Big animal naturally mean predator to avoid to him.
Thank you! and Very true about grabbing... I have never grabbed at Beman. You can see from my videos.. I worked with him by getting him to come to me. Now he does it willingly and every day. I became a good tree lol. When I open the door and he does not come to me I just leave him be. At almost 12 months old he is still just as accepting of me so I seemed to have made it through the critical maturing months. We will see though. I know that they can be much more territorial then others so I just take it a day at a time with him and follow his lead.

Back
Top Bottom