How to get him to try new worms??

Echoezra

Established Member
For some reason I wasn't expecting him to not be interested in juicy colorful worms... Now I guess I need help with techniques??
I had silkworms all over the darn cage, they were wiggling and flailing about, for days, and he didnt even notice them, it's like they were invisible.
I tried butterworms, on branches, on the screen walls, wiggling like crazy, crawling, nothing. Those he would look right at, but refused to try, just waited till they'd fall off, I kept trying to put them back, I think they're all MIA in the plants now.
He loves crickets, only bigger ones, I got smaller ones cause I was worried about the size of the first batch, but he prefers the bigger ones. He likes them on the screen, not on branches or plants, apparently. Also likes superworms, gobbled them right up, but again, just off ofthe screen, less interested on he vines or plants.
And yes I did try the silks & butters on the screen too, still invisible. Lol.
He just freezes if I try holding the bugs, or on my flat hand, or in a cup. I even tried wedging a cup in some vines, so that it would be below a vine he liked to climb & sit on, so he could look down into it, and I put several of each bug in, and he refused to go on that branch that night.
So still obvious trust issues. It's only been a week, so I mean I wasn't expecting miracles, but he's obviously hungry, cause when you do see him eat a bug he looks so excited and ravenous. Lol.
I just wasn't expecting him to only like crickets & supers, I had expected to mix it up. It was like a silkworm graveyard in that cage this week! Lol. I need another lizard just to eat his castaways! Lol.
I'm sure he'd like them if he tried them, but how do you get him to try them?? Lol.

Have you tried feeding tongs? For some reason my little guy prefers different feeding techniques all the time. Sometimes he'll cup feed, hand feed, tong feed, and other times he just prefers me to leave his feeders free in his cage. He's a weirdo... Lol! Just keep trying, don't give up, and he'll eventually get the picture.:)

Haha, you know what's funny? I probably would not have thought of tongs. I've been counting & grabbing bugs at work for so many years now, i forget that other people use tongs. Lol. That might not be a bad idea. I could get it closer to him if he's in the plants, by without him have to be quite so rudely invaded by my horrible, horrible hand. Lol. Thanks.

Haha, you know what's funny? I probably would not have thought of tongs. I've been counting & grabbing bugs at work for so many years now, i forget that other people use tongs. Lol. That might not be a bad idea. I could get it closer to him if he's in the plants, by without him have to be quite so rudely invaded by my horrible, horrible hand. Lol. Thanks.

Lol! Yeah, Hugh isn't so worried about my hands being in his cage so much anymore but he has his days. My female Panther HATES anything that has to do with me so I just place her feeders on the screen for her to snatch up. Good luck and your welcome.

Haha, yeah. Well I'm just interpreting it as a good sign, the hand thing, because i figure it means he likes his new home and has claimed it as his own, therefore my hand is an intruder, an unwelcome guest. Lol. He doesn't fuss when i reach in to mist, actually, as he loves to drink, but yeah reaching to a branch or screen near him to replace a bug on it that has fallen... well - HOW RUDE and hurry the *#%+ OUT!!! Hahah

I just bought some Jurassi Fruit Scented Appetite Stimulator today. I'm going to see if it works on my male Jackson. He wont eater supers.

Back
Top Bottom