How to get cham off Super worms?

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
Veiled male cham of 4-5 months was eating crickets and superworms and now wants only superworms. It is all frustrating. I have crickets that are gut loaded and calcium covered. Do I just hold back superworms until it eats crickets again? I could get some dubia roaches.

Veiled male cham of 4-5 months was eating crickets and superworms and now wants only superworms. It is all frustrating. I have crickets that are gut loaded and calcium covered. Do I just hold back superworms until it eats crickets again? I could get some dubia roaches.
Basically, yes. Supers can be addicting to some reptiles (they must really be tasty! :p). My bearded dragon got addicted to them, and I had to have him go "cold-turkey" (still offering other feeders). It took a while, but it worked. Now he eats them with equal relish to other feeders.

I don't see any problem with offering dubia roaches; IMO they're better feeders than crickets, anyway, and he should be big enough for them now. Start small. ;)

Yeah - sometimes they will go on a hunger strike and hold out for a particular favorite food item. Try offering him silk worms. It would be an easier transition and one silk worm has the equivalent of the nutrition in 6 crickets! It will be much healthier for him. You can also try offering him black soldier flies. The chameleons love them and will also add a little more variety to his diet. Hope this helps.

Kind of like sending a kid to bed without dinner. Axolotls have a big problem going from worms to pellets but they just need to learn that's all they're getting.
Sated reptiles are picky
Hungry reptiles will eat anything that moves

A few months ago jasper found an addiction to waxworms so I just offered him everything but waxworms. He didnt eat for 5 days until he finally accepted a locust

Back
Top Bottom