How to get a male Panther Chameleon to color up for a photo

wlamore

I was told a mirror was all you needed to get the male to color up for his best photo.

I started with him in a 10 gallon tank temporarily and he stayed pretty bright until I moved him into a new screen screen chameleon setup.

Now unless I startle him he goes around sort of in dark shades of purple/brown and green.

He is doing well and gets exercise and eats very well.

He is 6 + months old and fairly large.

I would like to photograph him in full war path colors but he does not even flinch when I hold up the mirror. He is very laid back and if I open the door he wants to walk out on my arm and up on my shoulder.

I use a laser temp gun and is basking spot under a 60 watt house bulb in a reflector keeps him just about
83-85 F. He also has a 5.0 uvb bulb. Dust the crickets with Mineral I picked up at the last Ham show in Germany. Mix it with calcium carbonate powder.

As I said he is doing great.

Any suggestions.
wlamore

It's good that he stays relaxed colors. Usually when they flare up all the time they are stressed out or angry. Mating colors also happen but they have to see a female. I have a male panther who when presented with a mirror never flares. I have another chameleon directly across from him who is recovering from mbd, she isn't in a way where she can see him but even though he can see her he completely ignores her. The only thing that makes him show any different colors is my phone and even that is barely a flare up. He's beautiful when he flares and his pajama colors are gorgeous however I only get to see them when he's sleeping. I have a feeling he'd be a horrible breeder, but I'd love to pass on his genes if I could guarantee his lineage would have his friendliness and chill behavior.

Have you been dusting his crickets with a multivitamin and calcium with D3

Is the basking spot 83-85? You may try warming his cage, I was under the impression a basking spot should be upper 80's to low 90's.

It should only be in the upper 80's to low 90's if you have a panther above 9 months

I hear there are some things such as red bell pepper and tumaric that one can feed feeder insects to affect a long term change in chameleons to make their colors more vivid!

I looked and Mineral contains activated D3 and calcium, zinc and several other items that reptiles need. I dust they crickets with a mixture of mineral and calcium carbonate powder. Anybody have any more suggestions for supplements.

Back
Top Bottom