How to female chameleon lay eggs with out a male?

If you have a female...especially a veiled, you will want to be sure not to overfeed her and keep her basking temperature at about 80F starting when she is becoming mature (starting to get her big girl colors...splotches of mustard and dots of blue) so she won't have a huge clutch of eggs and have reproductive issues, etc.

When you want her to produce fertile eggs, you will have to put her together with the male. I always show the male to the female by holding the male outside the females cage and watch for reactions. This way if the reactions are bad they won't be able to attack each other.

If the female remains calm and walks away from the male...no hissing, no gaping, lunging etc. and the male also remains calm, no karate hand, no hissing or lunging, etc. then you can put the male and female in the same cage.

You will want to watch them to make sure they don't become aggressive to each other. When the female starts to get aggressive to the female you will want to separate them and put them back in their own cages. The females color will soon change letting you and the male know that she is producing eggs.

Last edited:
My bad let me rephrase that i know that you have to feed them less and reduce their basking temperature. But how does it happen because to me it makes no sense to me how they can have eggs if they haven’t mated.

My bad let me rephrase that i know that you have to feed them less and reduce their basking temperature. But how does it happen because to me it makes no sense to me how they can have eggs if they haven’t mated.
It's like chickens...they produce infertile eggs when there is no male around.

I added to my post above...

Can’t find anything specific to reptiles/chameleons.
The next question is perhaps, "Why do chickens lay unfertilized eggs at all?" The reason is that the egg is mostly developed before being fertilized. The chicken cannot know in advance whether the egg will end up fertilized or not, so it just has to go ahead and grow the egg in the hopes that it will be fertilized. In the wild, this system works well because mating among fowls is common and most eggs do end up fertilized.

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mo...y-unfertilized-eggs-when-that-is-so-wasteful/

If you have a female...especially a veiled, you will want to be sure not to overfeed her and keep her basking temperature at about 80F starting when she is becoming mature (starting to get her big girl colors...splotches of mustard and dots of blue) so she won't have a huge clutch of eggs and have reproductive issues, etc.

When you want her to produce fertile eggs, you will have to put her together with the male. I always show the male to the female by holding the male outside the females cage and watch for reactions. This way if the reactions are bad they won't be able to attack each other.

If the female remains calm and walks away from the male...no hissing, no gaping, lunging etc. and the male also remains calm, no karate hand, no hissing or lunging, etc. then you can put the male and female in the same cage.

You will want to watch them to make sure they don't become aggressive to each other. When the female starts to get aggressive to the female you will want to separate them and put them back in their own cages. The females color will soon change letting you and the male know that she is producing eggs.
And we talk about it, how about Panthers? What are the best temps and feeding for females? Or is it in general a Veiled problem?

Human eggs are produced in a woman's body while she is still a fetus. So the egg that produced you was once in your maternal grandmother's womb, in your mother's developing fetus. Eggs are released over the course of a woman's life via the menstrual cycle, if the eggs are infertile. I like to think that when we eat chicken eggs we're eating their periods lol. Biology is pretty fascinating!

Can’t find anything specific to reptiles/chameleons.
The next question is perhaps, "Why do chickens lay unfertilized eggs at all?" The reason is that the egg is mostly developed before being fertilized. The chicken cannot know in advance whether the egg will end up fertilized or not, so it just has to go ahead and grow the egg in the hopes that it will be fertilized. In the wild, this system works well because mating among fowls is common and most eggs do end up fertilized.

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mo...y-unfertilized-eggs-when-that-is-so-wasteful/
Happens in people, too, called ovulation...

Back
Top Bottom