How to feed dubias

DaveF

How do people feed their roaches as I've put mine in the feeder cup and they just sit still and it doesn't interest my cham what so ever

if they’re in a feeder cup you want to put a lot of them in there at once so they scurry around more and let your chameleon eat as many as he would like in about 30 mins (if he’s younger) if he’s older I would still do this method and just let him eat 5-7

And the bugs don't escape?
They shouldn't. Dubias can't climb slick surfaces, and the PVC should be pretty slick on the inside.

That said, escapee feeders do happen; it's part of the deal. As long as you live in a state that hasn't banned dubias, they won't reproduce or survive very long.

And the bugs don't escape?
So I have used both for everything from crickets, dubia, silkworms, BSFL and Superworms.

I rarely had any issue with the crickets jumping from the TK Chameleons one and no issue with anything else getting out.

The Full throttle one the only issue I had was with crickets. They will occasionally hop off the feeder. the others stay in.

Granted my boys do not leave feeders sitting for very long at all. As soon as they get poured in they go after them.

They shouldn't. Dubias can't climb slick surfaces, and the PVC should be pretty slick on the inside.

That said, escapee feeders do happen; it's part of the deal. As long as you live in a state that hasn't banned dubias, they won't reproduce or survive very long.
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful for me. I assume you mean they won't survive very long because of a hungry chameleon! I read that roaches can live for a year :oops:

So I have used both for everything from crickets, dubia, silkworms, BSFL and Superworms.

I rarely had any issue with the crickets jumping from the TK Chameleons one and no issue with anything else getting out.

The Full throttle one the only issue I had was with crickets. They will occasionally hop off the feeder. the others stay in.

Granted my boys do not leave feeders sitting for very long at all. As soon as they get poured in they go after them.
Thanks for the reply! I'm in the long process of planning my enclosure and couldn't figure out the feeder part.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful for me. I assume you mean they won't survive very long because of a hungry chameleon! I read that roaches can live for a year :oops:
I was thinking more of environment & lack of food.
Yes, they can live a long time; I still have some from 1/20.

I've also had a few escape into the house. I've always found them dead within a couple weeks with no damage done. They don't do well in cold temps either—native to Central & South Americas.

Thanks for the reply! I'm in the long process of planning my enclosure and couldn't figure out the feeder part.
Your welcome. For babies that I feed a lot of crickets to I preferred the TK chameleons feeder in the large size. These only work on screen cages because of how they attach.
I have dragon strand hybrid cages so it was better for me to switch to the full throttle feeder since he has a surface mount for those.

How do people feed their roaches as I've put mine in the feeder cup and they just sit still and it doesn't interest my cham what so ever
They'll run around if they are warm. If you sit them in a warm window for a moment (not too hot, we want to be humane!) they'll stat to scurry.

Back
Top Bottom