how to feed baby veiled

You may want to reconsider the night bulb. 70 and even a bit lower is fine for a nighttime drop and is healthy for your chameleon. As far as moving her over to a screen cage... you might want to consider leaving her in a tank for the time being because of humidity. Lots of people with young chameleons leave them in tanks until they are around 3 months old.

Try to change out what you are feeding your crickets for your gutload... there are several on the market that are decent if you want to buy it, but those square jelly things are crap in my opinion. Here is a recipe for a good gutload.. even if you can only get a portion of the ingredients together to feed your crickets, you will be doing pretty well. http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/gutload.html

When setting the bulbs up in the cage you want the basking bulb and this light to be as close as possible and the chameleon to get as close as possible to both (without getting burned). In the wild they would be getting both of these in one place so they should to the same in captivity.

I keep my basking light and UVB light seperated by a fair amount of distance. I find that the chameleon will moderate its temperature and its UVB intake without my interference.

Zerah said..."The sun is the best alternative if you cannot get to a UVB bulb quickly. Even in colder climates an hour or so on a near daily basis exposed to sun and the use of the D3 supplemented powder will likely provide you with a good chance of success"...you are right about the exposure to the sun being the best alternative...I personally would not put my baby chameleon outside in the sun for an hour if the temperature where I lived was as low as is forecast for tomorrow in Michigan (assuming that the information on titan501x's post (upper right corner) is correct about where titan501x lives). The high forecast for tomorrow is 36F in the north to 46 south of Michigan according to the following site...
http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/forecast/michigan/temperature/

Regarding Zerah's comment (concerning my comment "You said you use repto-cal...repto-cal contains phosphorous. I don't recommend using one that contains phosphorous")....in every other post that I remember on this forum and other forums when I talk about using phos.-free calcium, I have always explained the reasoning for this (in fact I have been criticized for giving too much detail in my posts). titan501x...insects have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio so I do not use a calcium powder that contains phosphorous. I use a phos.-free calcium powder to add calcium to the chameleon's diet to compensate for the poor calcium ratio in the insects.

Zerah said..."Do not worry so much, it is a 20$ learning experience"...true...you only paid $20 for the chameleon...but it would also be better for the chameleon if that experience were avoided.

Zerah said..."The sun is the best alternative if you cannot get to a UVB bulb quickly. Even in colder climates an hour or so on a near daily basis exposed to sun and the use of the D3 supplemented powder will likely provide you with a good chance of success"...you are right about the exposure to the sun being the best alternative...I personally would not put my baby chameleon outside in the sun for an hour if the temperature where I lived was as low as is forecast for tomorrow in Michigan (assuming that the information on titan501x's post (upper right corner) is correct about where titan501x lives). The high forecast for tomorrow is 36F in the north to 46 south of Michigan according to the following site...
http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/forecast/michigan/temperature/

Regarding Zerah's comment (concerning my comment "You said you use repto-cal...repto-cal contains phosphorous. I don't recommend using one that contains phosphorous")....in every other post that I remember on this forum and other forums when I talk about using phos.-free calcium, I have always explained the reasoning for this (in fact I have been criticized for giving too much detail in my posts). titan501x...insects have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio so I do not use a calcium powder that contains phosphorous. I use a phos.-free calcium powder to add calcium to the chameleon's diet to compensate for the poor calcium ratio in the insects.

Zerah said..."Do not worry so much, it is a 20$ learning experience"...true...you only paid $20 for the chameleon...but it would also be better for the chameleon if that experience were avoided.

Another problem is that michigan hardly ever gets any sunny days

Same problem I face here in Canada...and our temperatures are already lower than yours too. Below freezing already some days....and this has been a very mild fall.

Thank you, its about time somebody sticks up for the newb here.
You are NOT being attacked. You are being spoken to by very concerned people. The replies may not be entirely complete, however listen and learn by them- you are in a situation that have caused many a death of neonate chameleons time and time again.

Ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom