How to distinguish the gender of Rainbow Jackson and Veiled Chameleon?

Lazykun

2020-08-13 00;03;40.jpg
I recently purchased a Rainbow Jackson Pair and Veiled Chameleon male from the Underground Reptile Online Shop.
But I have problems with their gender.

First I bought a Rainbow Jackson pair, but I think that I got two males.
I know that Rainbow Jackson's females also have horns, but I know it has a very short.
But they're perfectly the same color, and both have pretty long, straight horns.
The large chameleon what they said to be male is 9 inches long, and the length of the horn is 3/4 inches.
Rainbow jackson's  (Big one) 1  20200811_132305 - 복사본.jpg
what they said to be female, are as small as 7 inches long and have horns about 1/2 inch.
Rainbow jackson's  (Small one) 2 20200811_130538 - 복사본.jpg
The reason I think they are all males, they both have a small lump at the base of their tail.

And also, i bought the male Veiled Chameleon either.
But.. it looks like female to me.
Veiled Chameleon - 1 20200811_122501.jpg Veiled Chameleon - 4 20200811_125821.jpg
they said it is male.
but i can't find a any bumps on the backs of his(?) hind legs.
funniest thing is they said "There was no sex chosen for the 12+ inch veiled"
2020-08-13 00;10;42.jpg

Regardless of whether there is a choice or not, it is already marked as male there with photos too.
it's a all about the male.
2020-08-11.png
after then now they are telling me they sent me a male.
2020-08-13 00;11;00.jpg
I don't know what's going on right now.
The chameleons arrived with signs of severe dehydration with sunken in eyes.
They haven't been drinking water properly for at least a week.

I need your advice, please help.
Are they really a pair and males?

Tell me anytime if you need more photos

Attachments

• Veiled Chameleon - 2 20200811_122436.jpg
    Veiled Chameleon - 2 20200811_122436.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
You may want to have a word with the owner. That definitely looks to be a female Veiled Chameleon with the tarsal spurs. Plus your Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii pair looks to be 2.0. The specimen that could possibly be a female has thick horns and male coloration. This is a link to one of my threads with a couple types of female Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/a-greenhouse-trioceros-surprise-2.177261/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You're not the first one that has had problems with underground reptiles. I've seen some other threads about wrong age and unhealthy and mixed gender chams from underground reptiles.

As for the jacksons, I don't know(@JacksJill)

As for the veiled, it looks like a female :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Looks like a female veiled and two male jax. The females for these can have three horns but they’re normally not as thick/full. Also those are male colors. Females would have more breakup pattern and lacking the yellow stripe, from my experience

You may want to have a word with the owner. That definitely looks to be a female Veiled Chameleon with the tarsal spurs. Plus your Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii pair looks to be 2.0. The specimen that could possibly be a female has thick horns and male coloration. This is a link to one of my threads with a couple types of female Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/a-greenhouse-trioceros-surprise-2.177261/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Pardon me without the tarsal spurs.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks for you opinion :D
But they both can have a small lump at the base of their tail also?
I have circled it in red.

Thats how they label them at my local reptile shop. Idk why though!! You'd be expecting panther coloration with that description.

Exactly!
When I received the chameleon, I was very surprised because it was so different from the image I imagined.
They said "There was no sex chosen for the 12+ inch veiled", but as you can see there is already marked as male with photos.
It doesn't matter there is a choice or not because it is a fixed thing lol

The lump you are looking for is directly behind the one you have circled. Female jack Jacks come in a variety of colors from almost masculine to mottled to redish. The pictures aren't perfect for I'd but I would think they are males. Females have tails that are thinner at that point while the males have a bulge you can also see from above looking down a little. These are likely wild caught. If you don't see a bulge they can still be male but not yet mature. Someone half joking once said they weren't sure they were female until they gave birth.
I have a few young females available if you decide you want one. PM me.
If you do decide to keep these get them checked for parasites.

Last edited:
The lump you are looking for is directly behind the one you have circled. Female jack Jacks come in a variety of colors from almost masculine to mottled to redish. The pictures aren't perfect for I'd but I would think they are males. Females have tails that are thinner at that point while the males have a bulge you can also see from above looking down a little. These are likely wild caught. If you don't see a bulge they can still be male but not yet mature. Someone half joking once said they weren't sure they were female until they gave birth.
I have a few young females available if you decide you want one. PM me.
If you do decide to keep these get them checked for parasites.

Can you show me what angle of photo can know the gender.
Sorry to bother you.

I need to see more of the tail. Your thumb is blocking in the first photo and there is a shadow in the second. So basically pictures of the tail straight out as much as possible.

I need to see more of the tail. Your thumb is blocking in the first photo and there is a shadow in the second. So basically pictures of the tail straight out as much as possible.

This chameleons is they claim to be females.
I'm sorry, he's taking shedding now.
Total Length: 7 inch
Length from head to body excluding tail: 3 inch

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0914.jpg IMG_0915.jpg

No they can not be together the stress will slowly kill them if the fighting doesn't. Even males and females can not be house together except for briefly for mating.

And this is the male chameleons they claim to be males.
I think he is 100% male.
Total Length: 9 inch
Length from head to body excluding tail: 4 inch

IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0921.jpg IMG_0922.jpg

Back
Top Bottom