How to cut ventilation holes for cricket bin?

im having a real tough time cutting the plastic Rubbermaid bin for my order of 500 crickets that will be arriving tomorrow from ghanns. I usually have only 100 or so crickets at a time but with 500, I know I'll need much better ventilation. How do I go about cutting holes in the tough plastic bins? I tried many knives but it isn't working out.

I've read about a dremel with a cutting tool but I'm not sure on the price of that tool (I'll check at lowes after work). What are other options? I feel like I should have ventilation on all sides and not just it the top like how it is now. Just don't. Know how to cut the plastic straight and easily. Thanks so much; it's been a stressful day

im having a real tough time cutting the plastic Rubbermaid bin for my order of 500 crickets that will be arriving tomorrow from ghanns. I usually have only 100 or so crickets at a time but with 500, I know I'll need much better ventilation. How do I go about cutting holes in the tough plastic bins? I tried many knives but it isn't working out.

I've read about a dremel with a cutting tool but I'm not sure on the price of that tool (I'll check at lowes after work). What are other options? I feel like I should have ventilation on all sides and not just it the top like how it is now. Just don't. Know how to cut the plastic straight and easily. Thanks so much; it's been a stressful day

Did you try a box cutter (not the small type) and use a straight edge to guide the cutter blade?

I use a glass tank for mine. The lid is one of those metal ones that you can buy. 20 gallons will hold 500.

Box cutter is good. You also might consider a drill with a 3" hole saw to put a few "vents" in the lid. Hot glue and screen them in once you're done cutting/drilling. Maybe a neighbor has one, or....?

Attachments

• bugtop.jpg
    bugtop.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 413
ive F'd up 2 bins so far :/ box cutter isn't working. I did use a smaller one though... Could that have been the problem? I'm considering going outright now to buy a dremel and cutting bit.

Chame,

If you have a Harbor Freight and Tool in town, stop by tomorrow and get yourself a cordless drill and hole saw set. Total is under $20 and will come in handy again when you least expect it.

Chame,

If you have a Harbor Freight and Tool in town, stop by tomorrow and get yourself a cordless drill and hole saw set. Total is under $20 and will come in handy again when you least expect it.

I may try that next time. I ended up going to wally world and picked up a couple more cheaper (weaker plastic) bins. The plastic that the rubbermaids or RE brand is too strong, but I could cut through pretty easily using a box cutter (bought earlier today) on the weaker plastic.

It did take a while, and today has been a doozy, but at least I know for the future. What all can you do with a drill and hole saw set? What all can it cut through? Thanks for the advice everyone,

-Li

I may try that next time. I ended up going to wally world and picked up a couple more cheaper (weaker plastic) bins. The plastic that the rubbermaids or RE brand is too strong, but I could cut through pretty easily using a box cutter (bought earlier today) on the weaker plastic.

It did take a while, and today has been a doozy, but at least I know for the future. What all can you do with a drill and hole saw set? What all can it cut through? Thanks for the advice everyone,

-Li

I use my power drill with a drill bit. Goes through like butter.

"What all can you do with a drill and hole saw set? What all can it cut through? Thanks for the advice everyone, -Li"

The cordless drill itself, is worth it's weight in gold. Endless possibilities on numerous projects to either drill, or use as a screwdriver with the right attachments/ bits, or ..........whatever you can imagine. As far as cutting with the hole saw set. They come in handy for numerous jobs where you would need/want a nice round hole cut in a wall, or any other surface/project that needs a nice round hole of varying diameter. Usually the hole saw sets come with an assortment of diameters that suit different needs. If you don't have a drill, get one you'll need it. You'll use it for lots of different projects around the house including cham. and bug projects.

I use clear sterlite bins measuring maybe 24"wide, 30"long, and 24"height. Use ones with rounded corners. I use no tape or vaseline at the top. Each one has 2 egg trays, paper towel roll, food bowl (pnut butter lid), & veggie tray (tomato 3pk tray). 1000 crix to a bin. No escapees and maybe lose 5-6 a week. Important to find quality cricket supplier, as well as prevent methane buildup and lack of food. Clean out every 4 days or so, depending on amount of poop. NO LIDS! (They are so 70's. Anyone catch that? :D)

Back
Top Bottom