How to cool down temps

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
What are the most effective ways to reduce the temps in the enclosure, without turning off the lights, and without over misting????

I usually just turn my AC to 75-76. Once it gets warmer then that it'll kick on so my reptiles don't bake. I have central air though. I know you live in an apartment so you may not have this?

How far is the light from the screen? Might just have to make it go higher. The other thing to do is to get a dimmer thermostat. You can also try a fan to help reduce the heat
I have an oscillating fan across the room that turns toward the cage, I didnt want to point a fan directly at it and too close to it. It's about 5 inches up, I'll try raising it since I just set up my handy dandy light stand. I want to get a dimmer, but it's not in the books for me right now. Rent :rolleyes:

I usually just turn my AC to 75-76. Once it gets warmer then that it'll kick on so my reptiles don't bake. I have central air though. I know you live in an apartment so you may not have this?
I do have central air, but I swear either I'm an idiot (the highest probability) or the thermostat on it doesnt work because when I set it it never stays to what I set it to :rolleyes: I think my only option is to just blast my AC if raising my light forsnt work. Which sucks cuz I love having my windows and stuff open!

I do have central air, but I swear either I'm an idiot (the highest probability) or the thermostat on it doesnt work because when I set it it never stays to what I set it to :rolleyes: I think my only option is to just blast my AC if raising my light forsnt work. Which sucks cuz I love having my windows and stuff open!
I feel you on that I enjoy fresh air and not ac air
I have an oscillating fan across the room that turns toward the cage, I didnt want to point a fan directly at it and too close to it. It's about 5 inches up, I'll try raising it since I just set up my handy dandy light stand. I want to get a dimmer, but it's not in the books for me right now. Rent :rolleyes:
just keep rising it. I know the dimmer is very expensive

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT
It took you way to long to comment on me being sarcastic... Just saying... On a serious note. The quads do put out some heat. I get 85 degrees about 5 inches down from them. With Beman his casque goes even higher so he will gape like an idiot because his head gets hot. So I adjusted my wattage of basking bulb. With Pesto being so small you may not need to have a basking bulb right now if you are reaching 85 with just the quad. :)

It took you way to long to comment on me being sarcastic... Just saying... On a serious note. The quads do put out some heat. I get 85 degrees about 5 inches down from them. With Beman his casque goes even higher so he will gape like an idiot because his head gets hot. So I adjusted my wattage of basking bulb. With Pesto being so small you may not need to have a basking bulb right now if you are reaching 85 with just the quad. :)
Ok listen here missy, I have a job that I sometimes actually have to do rather than just sit on the forums while on the clock, ok?! :LOL:

I thought I had to have both the basking bulb and the quad, because the quad doesnt project heat like the basking bulb does?? Why did I just buy this lamp stand fixture thingy if I dont even need the bulb, Becca????

Ok listen here missy, I have a job that I sometimes actually have to do rather than just sit on the forums while on the clock, ok?! :LOL:

I thought I had to have both the basking bulb and the quad, because the quad doesnt project heat like the basking bulb does?? Why did I just buy this lamp stand fixture thingy if I dont even need the bulb, Becca????
Now Sara don't whine at me LOL! Because he is young your very max temp is 85 degrees for basking. When they are adults there is no way to get the temps you need for basking with just the quad so that is why you need the basking. But since he is young you can turn off the basking if and only if your reaching that 85 degree mark with the heat output from the T5.

And it does still project the heat. light=heat so it is still the same as if you are using a basking. They are still utilizing the heat for digestion and such. You will see when people hit the summer months when they do not have air conditioning and the ambient temp in the house gets above the basking temp they need the basking lamps get turned off.

Now Sara don't whine at me LOL! Because he is young your very max temp is 85 degrees for basking. When they are adults there is no way to get the temps you need for basking with just the quad so that is why you need the basking. But since he is young you can turn off the basking if and only if your reaching that 85 degree mark with the heat output from the T5.

And it does still project the heat. light=heat so it is still the same as if you are using a basking. They are still utilizing the heat for digestion and such. You will see when people hit the summer months when they do not have air conditioning and the ambient temp in the house gets above the basking temp they need the basking lamps get turned off.
Ok good to know, I can definitely turn off the basking bulb during the peak of the afternoon. I guess I'll have to get 2 of those remote access timers that @Brodybreaux25 uses so I can turn it off while I'm at work if the temps get too high. Especially considering Pesto is a jerk and doesnt retreat down to the cool levels like he should and prefers to just gape like a doofus instead

Ok good to know, I can definitely turn off the basking bulb during the peak of the afternoon. I guess I'll have to get 2 of those remote access timers that @Brodybreaux25 uses so I can turn it off while I'm at work if the temps get too high. Especially considering Pesto is a jerk and doesnt retreat down to the cool levels like he should and prefers to just gape like a doofus instead
Beman will sit there and just gape while looking at me... even though he has multiple levels to move down out of the heat. He is a butt head. He likes it no hotter then 88 degrees. With his casque still growing and getting hotter first I still have yet to find a happy medium for him lol.

Back
Top Bottom