How to breed locusts?

tbh the ones I caught were light brown and I just assumed they were a carolina locust
Ah, okay. Carolina locusts require a diapause, so I've never bothered with them. Since you are in NC(North Carolina?), you should have American bird grasshoppers. I recommend those. Twice as big and no diapause. They are the ones in the first picture from my previous post. The first group of the year hatches this month, so maybe you can find some soon. Nymphs are usually green. Feel free to send a picture if you ever need help ID'ing.

20181215_203523.jpg 20190213_032551.jpg 20190301_022834.jpg

I assume you are talking about grasshoppers. In temperate regions, they have obligatory diapause, so there is only one generation per year.
When nymphs are crowded, they develop extra large wings, a migratory phase when they are adults.
The seventeen year locusts underground as nymphs and adjults appear at 17 year intervals. They are entirely different than grasshoppers.
This is incorrect. You are talking about cicadas. Locusts are grasshoppers that swarm.

Ah, okay. Carolina locusts require a diapause, so I've never bothered with them. Since you are in NC(North Carolina?), you should have American bird grasshoppers. I recommend those. Twice as big and no diapause. They are the ones in the first picture from my previous post. The first group of the year hatches this month, so maybe you can find some soon. Nymphs are usually green. Feel free to send a picture if you ever need help ID'ing.

View attachment 224940View attachment 224941View attachment 224942
I catch and feed a lot of wild locusts to my Chams, we have the bird hoppers here in south Louisiana as well. We frequently come across ones 4”+, they are so big my adult Chams can’t take them down. They are absolute monsters!

For anyone looking to start a breeding operation I recommend hunting at night. Use a spotlight, they freeze when the light hits them just like a deer. You can literally walk right up to them and grab them, no chasing them around like during the daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom