How poisonous are baby black widows????

Julirs

OK-If you read my thread the other day I lost a female healthy Veiled and found a very large black widow in another cage. Today I guess it was fate that I noticed gobs of spider babies that must have just hatched. If these are widow babies they are HUGE. So I vacuum every gob of babies I see and then haul the cage and lights and everything outside. My big make Veiled was hanging on the opposite side of the cage as if he feared them. What is that about? How worried do I need to be for him or for me? I just vacuumed every cage all the way aroung again-all the plants-underneath every ledge...

This is NOT what I wanted to deal with today. :mad:

I was bitten as a child and was fine...

EDIT: I forgot to type that I've read the babies aren't poisonous at all.

I have to deal with black widow spiders in my outdoor enclosures every summer, so I know what you are going through.
Baby black widow spiders are very small when they hatch. You can see the distinct hour glass on the bellies. When they are young, the hour glass can be orange in color.
Can you see the hour glass on the baby spiders.
I am not sure on how poisonous they are when young, but I will say that the cages that do get the baby spiders, I have never had a dead cham from them. It is a different story when adult spiders are present in the cages.

Thanks pssh and Lance-they are creeping me out-and as used to dealing with spiders as I am this hatch makes me nervous! I am fairly certain that the danger really was with the hissing, lunging, biting male Veiled I had to get out of there!

My advice? Keep a flip flop with you at all times to smash it. We had a widow that had many many babies around our house and we were killing them left and right. My mom almost ran into one with her bare legs but I got it with my trusty flip flop :) I feel bad killing spiders when they aren't in my house, but it's for the good of the famiy!

Back
Top Bottom