How permanent is Great Stuff foam? Anyone use on reptibreeze screen?

blue_cham

Established Member
Will be delving into great stuff foam soon. How hard is it to remove from surfaces, especially screen? I heard it doesn't permeate the screen. I'd hate for a permanent set up if I want to change it up down the road. I was thinking of using lighting "egg crate" to create a wall that can be inserted, but not sure if that's the best way. I free range feed crickets because the boys like to hunt. But I don't want them getting behind the wall if i make it insert-able...

The egg crate method is a good idea. That's what I did for my screen enclosures. Seal it with silicone.

I only saw the egg crate mentioned one other place during my search of old forum posts, but it seems a good idea. I am definitely looking to do the silicone/coconut fiber method. It seems simple and I like the look. Although I plan on ordering dragon ledges for most of the heavy lifting, I do want to put some plants in the foam wall. Have you ever had a problem with the weight pulling the wall forward? Does it need to be anchored?

Also, just for future reference, do you know how permanent that foam stuff is on different surfaces? Is it hard to remove?

I'm not sure how well it sticks to screen but it sticks to skin like no other. I would wear gloves and maybe long sleeves when working with it. Got some stuck on my hands the first time I used it and it took 3 weeks to get it all off.

I'm not sure how well it sticks to screen but it sticks to skin like no other. I would wear gloves and maybe long sleeves when working with it. Got some stuck on my hands the first time I used it and it took 3 weeks to get it all off.
Oh gosh! I hadn't even thought of that. I'm really bad at using gloves usually. I tell myself... I'll just be careful with the stain, and end up with dyed hands for a week. I have a feeling expanding foam will be tricksey and gloves will be good. Thank you :)

That stuff is crazy sticky and expands a lot usually whatever you put it un it’s not coming off easy and onece it has fully dried out for a long time it can tear into chunks I wouldn’t use it anywhere near a chameleon cage

I spray mine onto a rigid plastic backing with the pots attached and inserts for branches and either suspend that from the ledges or the top bars of the cage. This allows me to take everything out if necessary for repotting etc. Good thing because I didn’t coat the great stuff and the uvb started to break it down near the top. Now it is coated with silicone.

I use it on my Dragon Strand solid-sided cages. It's fantastic, but permanent. We used that with light defuser material (you get it at home improvement stores, and it's used over ceiling light panels), then covered it with black silicone and coco fibers. It can ruin your clothes if you aren't careful, and there's no adjusting/moving it once it's on, so you really have to plan things out well. That said, I really like it and the cages look great (no pun intended).

They have Pond and stone GREAT STUFF. I think it is less toxic-safe for fish. Use it in my pond. Pretty much the same stuff but black and a little easier to work with.
It will stick to your hands for weeks--be careful

Back
Top Bottom