how old is my boy?

siennas

im thinking he is three months old, but if anyone can tell from looking, let me know!!

Attachments

• 538FC0E1-1C62-4CDE-88AE-09AF260F0209.jpeg
    538FC0E1-1C62-4CDE-88AE-09AF260F0209.jpeg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 3AC808BA-C818-4241-B5DE-BEB13AD9C552.jpeg
    3AC808BA-C818-4241-B5DE-BEB13AD9C552.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 50
Around four/ five inches.
Are you guessing or did you measure it? lol not trying to be rude at all. I am judging the length in comparison to the body length of the cham. If the cham is 5 inches that is going to put him more at the 4-5 month age range.

Are you guessing or did you measure it? lol not trying to be rude at all. I am judging the length in comparison to the body length of the cham. If the cham is 5 inches that is going to put him more at the 4-5 month age range.
sorry im not home right now! it was a guess lol, but ill be home to tell you the exact soon.

sorry im not home right now! it was a guess lol, but ill be home to tell you the exact soon.
Lol ok sounds good. I do not want to give you incorrect info either.

We can only give approximates based on body length. But many factors play into their size including genetics and prior care.

He is going to be stunning when all his markings come in.

Lol ok sounds good. I do not want to give you incorrect info either.

We can only give approximates based on body length. But many factors play into their size including genetics and prior care.

He is going to be stunning when all his markings come in.
turns out i was way off lol! the lid is about 2 and a half inches long. and thank you so much, hes my handsome boy and i cant wait to see his colors coming in soon!

turns out i was way off lol! the lid is about 2 and a half inches long. and thank you so much, hes my handsome boy and i cant wait to see his colors coming in soon!
Ok at that size he is almost exact to the width. Your looking right around that 2-3 month range. Although prior husbandry can effect growth and stunt it also Genetics can make a difference. But based on size now that is what I would put him at.

Let us know if you would like to do a husbandry review and I will post the form for you to fill out.

Ok at that size he is almost exact to the width. Your looking right around that 2-3 month range. Although prior husbandry can effect growth and stunt it also Genetics can make a difference. But based on size now that is what I would put him at.

Let us know if you would like to do a husbandry review and I will post the form for you to fill out.
sure, id like to do one! thank you for answering my question by the way, and your willingness to give me advice is great. i appreciate it!

sure, id like to do one! thank you for answering my question by the way, and your willingness to give me advice is great. i appreciate it!
Your welcome! So fill this form out by copy and pasting it into your reply. Then fill it out with detail and please include pictures of the entire cage including the lighting on top.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Your welcome! So fill this form out by copy and pasting it into your reply. Then fill it out with detail and please include pictures of the entire cage including the lighting on top.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? my cham is veiled and a male. he has been in my care for two days now. i believe he's two-three months old. i am a beginner chameleon owner.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? i have only handled him to put him in my cage and move him when setting up.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i feed him dubia roaches from dubia.com. he occasionally eats superworms, but ive been trying to feed him more nutritional foods like black fly larvae. unfortunately, they do not move enough for him to be interested. i feed him around 10 daily and i gutload them with carrots, strawberries, and repashys gut loading mix occasionally. today, im going to get more of a variety of fruits and veggies for the bugs.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i use flukers phosphorus free calcium (one with d3 and one without). my vitamin is a reptivite d3 free. im going to try to feed him d3 free calcium 6 times a week, and the d3 calcium once a week. multivitamin 2 times a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i mist him with the mistking for four minutes thirty minutes after lights come on. another three minutes afters lights go off. i currently have a homemade dripper that runs all day. ive seen him drinking once in the morning before.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? he has not been tested. his droppings look very healthy. soft, dark brown droppings and his urate looks to be a cream/white color.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 reptibreeze.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? t5ho 5% reptisun. for my basking bulb, i believe it is a 40 watt incandescent house bulb. the basking temp ranges from 75-78. they are on for 12 hours during the day, off during the night.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 70 during the day, it increases a few when going up near the basking. lowest temp overnight is probably 65, but usually stays around 70 with all lights off.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? they range from 40-45, but usually stay within the high thirties to low forties. i use a mini digital device that i occasionally leave in my cage for a few minutes to check everything. i create these levels by misting, but normally, where i live provides sufficient humidity for my boy.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? i use an umbrella plant, a mass cane, and a pothos to fill my enclosure. they are all real.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? my cage is located in my bedroom. there is a fan in my room kept on low mode. the cage is roughly 7 feet tall, definitely taller than anyone who comes to visit him.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? i live in northeastern PA.
(i inserted a picture of my enclosure. i do realize that the top is a little bare, but it will cover up as my pothos and cane grows.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? my cham is veiled and a male. he has been in my care for two days now. i believe he's two-three months old. i am a beginner chameleon owner.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? i have only handled him to put him in my cage and move him when setting up.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i feed him dubia roaches from dubia.com. he occasionally eats superworms, but ive been trying to feed him more nutritional foods like black fly larvae. unfortunately, they do not move enough for him to be interested. i feed him around 10 daily and i gutload them with carrots, strawberries, and repashys gut loading mix occasionally. today, im going to get more of a variety of fruits and veggies for the bugs.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i use flukers phosphorus free calcium (one with d3 and one without). my vitamin is a reptivite d3 free. im going to try to feed him d3 free calcium 6 times a week, and the d3 calcium once a week. multivitamin 2 times a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i mist him with the mistking for four minutes thirty minutes after lights come on. another three minutes afters lights go off. i currently have a homemade dripper that runs all day. ive seen him drinking once in the morning before.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? he has not been tested. his droppings look very healthy. soft, dark brown droppings and his urate looks to be a cream/white color.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 reptibreeze.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? t5ho 5% reptisun. for my basking bulb, i believe it is a 40 watt incandescent house bulb. the basking temp ranges from 75-78. they are on for 12 hours during the day, off during the night.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 70 during the day, it increases a few when going up near the basking. lowest temp overnight is probably 65, but usually stays around 70 with all lights off.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? they range from 40-45, but usually stay within the high thirties to low forties. i use a mini digital device that i occasionally leave in my cage for a few minutes to check everything. i create these levels by misting, but normally, where i live provides sufficient humidity for my boy.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? i use an umbrella plant, a mass cane, and a pothos to fill my enclosure. they are all real.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? my cage is located in my bedroom. there is a fan in my room kept on low mode. the cage is roughly 7 feet tall, definitely taller than anyone who comes to visit him.
(i inserted a picture of my enclosure. i do realize that the top is a little bare, but it will cover up as my pothos and cane grows.)
So sorry my reply has been delayed. Real life crazy the last 24 hours. I will go through your entire form now.

See my feedback in bold red.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i feed him dubia roaches from dubia.com. he occasionally eats superworms, but ive been trying to feed him more nutritional foods like black fly larvae. unfortunately, they do not move enough for him to be interested. i feed him around 10 daily and i gutload them with carrots, strawberries, and repashys gut loading mix occasionally. today, im going to get more of a variety of fruits and veggies for the bugs. Is he doing well eating the dubia? You will want to up his feeding amounts daily at this age. They can easily take down 2 dozen a day. See image below for gutload. you want to add more heavy greens and it will show the ratio. Or you can stick with commercial gutload like repashy bug burger.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i use flukers phosphorus free calcium (one with d3 and one without). my vitamin is a reptivite d3 free. im going to try to feed him d3 free calcium 6 times a week, and the d3 calcium once a week. multivitamin 2 times a month. Ok so this is almost correct. You will do the calcium without D3 6 days a week. But then you will rotate week to week on the 7th day with the reptivite without D3 and the Calcium with D3. So that each of these are being given two times a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i mist him with the mistking for four minutes thirty minutes after lights come on. another three minutes afters lights go off. i currently have a homemade dripper that runs all day. ive seen him drinking once in the morning before. This is good.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? he has not been tested. his droppings look very healthy. soft, dark brown droppings and his urate looks to be a cream/white color. Always a good idea to test to ensure there is not a parasite load.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? t5ho 5% reptisun. for my basking bulb, i believe it is a 40 watt incandescent house bulb. the basking temp ranges from 75-78. they are on for 12 hours during the day, off during the night. Ok just ensure that there is a 8-9 inch distance between the UVB your using and the closest branches below it. This will put baby in the correct range. Basking temps are ok for this young of a baby. You may need to go to a 60 watt regular bulb to get closer to the 80 basking temp range. Looking for 80-85 max at basking even when he is an adult.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 70 during the day, it increases a few when going up near the basking. lowest temp overnight is probably 65, but usually stays around 70 with all lights off. Ok night time temp drops are good for them. If you can get it down to 65 at night that is better.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? they range from 40-45, but usually stay within the high thirties to low forties. i use a mini digital device that i occasionally leave in my cage for a few minutes to check everything. i create these levels by misting, but normally, where i live provides sufficient humidity for my boy. These levels are good for a Veiled. The range your looking for is 40-50% daytime but they can tolerate down to 30%. Look into the govee gauges. you can put them in your cage outside of the area of spray and they will work with an app on your phone. Tells you temps and humidity.

The cage looks great. I can tell you did your research in the right places. Overall husbandry is on point as well. So you are off to a great start. Please let me know if you have any questions.

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

See my feedback in bold red.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i feed him dubia roaches from dubia.com. he occasionally eats superworms, but ive been trying to feed him more nutritional foods like black fly larvae. unfortunately, they do not move enough for him to be interested. i feed him around 10 daily and i gutload them with carrots, strawberries, and repashys gut loading mix occasionally. today, im going to get more of a variety of fruits and veggies for the bugs. Is he doing well eating the dubia? You will want to up his feeding amounts daily at this age. They can easily take down 2 dozen a day. See image below for gutload. you want to add more heavy greens and it will show the ratio. Or you can stick with commercial gutload like repashy bug burger.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i use flukers phosphorus free calcium (one with d3 and one without). my vitamin is a reptivite d3 free. im going to try to feed him d3 free calcium 6 times a week, and the d3 calcium once a week. multivitamin 2 times a month. Ok so this is almost correct. You will do the calcium without D3 6 days a week. But then you will rotate week to week on the 7th day with the reptivite without D3 and the Calcium with D3. So that each of these are being given two times a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i mist him with the mistking for four minutes thirty minutes after lights come on. another three minutes afters lights go off. i currently have a homemade dripper that runs all day. ive seen him drinking once in the morning before. This is good.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? he has not been tested. his droppings look very healthy. soft, dark brown droppings and his urate looks to be a cream/white color. Always a good idea to test to ensure there is not a parasite load.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? t5ho 5% reptisun. for my basking bulb, i believe it is a 40 watt incandescent house bulb. the basking temp ranges from 75-78. they are on for 12 hours during the day, off during the night. Ok just ensure that there is a 8-9 inch distance between the UVB your using and the closest branches below it. This will put baby in the correct range. Basking temps are ok for this young of a baby. You may need to go to a 60 watt regular bulb to get closer to the 80 basking temp range. Looking for 80-85 max at basking even when he is an adult.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 70 during the day, it increases a few when going up near the basking. lowest temp overnight is probably 65, but usually stays around 70 with all lights off. Ok night time temp drops are good for them. If you can get it down to 65 at night that is better.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? they range from 40-45, but usually stay within the high thirties to low forties. i use a mini digital device that i occasionally leave in my cage for a few minutes to check everything. i create these levels by misting, but normally, where i live provides sufficient humidity for my boy. These levels are good for a Veiled. The range your looking for is 40-50% daytime but they can tolerate down to 30%. Look into the govee gauges. you can put them in your cage outside of the area of spray and they will work with an app on your phone. Tells you temps and humidity.

The cage looks great. I can tell you did your research in the right places. Overall husbandry is on point as well. So you are off to a great start. Please let me know if you have any questions.

View attachment 323979View attachment 323980
i appreciate the tips! i am 15 years old and all he is my very first reptile, so it's great to have someone to guide me.

i just went to the store yesterday and bought a ton of greens/squash/sweet potato for my bugs. he loves the dubia and i just bought some crickets that are coming in today too, that way he will be willing to eat varied bugs (he refuses to eat anything that barely moves lol) i will also adjust the schedule and try to feed more.

as for the basking light, i will see what i have, thank you! i will measure the distance when i get home from school. i will also look into the gauge.

at night, ill put my fan on max to encourage ventilation/lower temp drops.

overall, thank you for the tips! if there is anything else i should know, make sure you let me know! i want the best for my little guy! :)

i appreciate the tips! i am 15 years old and all he is my very first reptile, so it's great to have someone to guide me.

i just went to the store yesterday and bought a ton of greens/squash/sweet potato for my bugs. he loves the dubia and i just bought some crickets that are coming in today too, that way he will be willing to eat varied bugs (he refuses to eat anything that barely moves lol) i will also adjust the schedule and try to feed more.

as for the basking light, i will see what i have, thank you! i will measure the distance when i get home from school. i will also look into the gauge.

overall, thank you for the tips! if there is anything else i should know, make sure you let me know! i want the best for my little guy! :)
i am always trying to adjust and experiment, this all has been a lovely learning experience!

i am always trying to adjust and experiment, this all has been a lovely learning experience!
Well I am impressed. We have a lot of younger members here. Those that pick up all the details like you have are far ahead of a lot of adults we get in the forum. lol

So remember your feeding all in the morning. So he can bask all day. I think feeder runs are great. Full throttle feeders makes a great one. the 3 inch round.

With the fan have it oscillating so it is rotating. You just do not want to blast air into a cage.

Start reading this site if you have not yet. https://chameleonacademy.com/

@siennas ...welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!
Also, you said...i appreciate the tips! i am 15 years old and all he is my very first reptile, so it's great to have someone to guide me" so good to see a person your age being so responsible with a pet! Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom