How often to feed cham waxworms?

I give my panther a few a week as treats, he likes them a lot and tends to run to them. But I hear they are not good staple feeders.

I dont give mine wax worms but he certainly runs down to grab some supers, I tried wax worms once and they dont wiggle enough in his cup for him to take them I guess

Anytime you want to give a treat, so he likes you more........;)

No more than an average of 2 a day at this age, but try to make sure he doesn't try and hold out for them. They are not the best for healthy food but nor are cheeseburgers for us. The only real risk is if you give him more than a couple and he decides not to eat anything until he can have what he wants..........if he's healthy now you have the opportunity to mix it up a bit and see how fussy he's going to be.....but don't get him addicted is the key.

He's at that awkward age, is he still hand feeding? Waxworms might get that bond back for you like with my male. Also the moths go down real easy, so you can make one box of waxworms last for a good long time without worrying about them dying or going out of date

Waxworms contain about 20 grams of fat versus a cricket that is about 6. Alot of fact packed in that little worm! That is why you don't want to go crazy feeding them. Kinda like us eating a McDonalds hamburger all the time or something! lol

i'd be against it. waxworms are a favorite amongst chameleons but they carry alot of fat. i'd say if your cham is on the skinny side go for it, but they become addicted to them, and will refuse anything else.
five a month is fine imo. any more and your on the verge to addiction

I have a 3 month old female veiled and I was wondering the same thing. I have never got wax worms for her yet but I use meal worms as little treats and she loves them. every time she sees me get them out (which isn't often) she comes running :). She still loves her crickets too.

I give my chams a number of them once in a while. I may give them a few for a couple of days then for a few days after not feed any wax worms for a long while. They easily go back to other feeders. Perhaps its because I hand feed them the wax worms and another type in the same feeding.

it's not heroine or anything, it's just that theyre very unhealthy. it's like eating candy all day.
it's a great treat. i'm not against feeding them, but it's over consumption and stubborn chams.
they'll begin to ignore crickets or otherwise.
i've seen chams in rehab after eating waxworms and its not pretty.
a fat cham who wont eat anything else =/

Back
Top Bottom