How often to breed

OrangeJuice

Established Member
Ive read female Veileds can retain sperm from earlier matings. I also saw an article on Jacksons chameleons saying that second clutches created by retained sperm caused weaker babies, so the breeder would mate the female a week after her laying. Is this a good idea to do with my girl after she lays? Or are veiled girls not suppose to breed more than once (obviously they do in the wild, but for her sake?)

In the wild from what we understand the vast majority of females don't live to lay a second time. But I would only mate once a year at most, I personally would do it every other year. And I honestly would get some liquid calcium on hand. It's a quick and safe way to make sure her calcium levels are steady after a lay. I would do it for a week or so after. And then switch back to regular calcium powder. Liquid calcium can last for 10 months. Mine stays useful a couple months passed exp

Sounds good. I was gonna heavily dust hornworms after she lays, but she loves water dripping on her nose, so I could easily trick her with calcium. Thanks for the info.

Ask your vet for it for sure. It may just be good to take her in after her lay if they won't give it without seeing her, so that she has a general check up. Laying can be so hard on them

I have money set aside for vet visits. I'll definitely take her in when she does lay. She's due in four days, but honestly I was hoping it's like whenever you buy something and the shipping says 3-5 days and it shows up on the third day. It's looking like five haha.

Yeah, definitely wait until after for sure XD though I am sure you already know that, no need to stress the girl

Indeed. I'm learning a lot about these creatures. My male likes being taken out to explore but my girl...she's another thing. She likes her little territory

Back
Top Bottom