How often should enclosure be cleaned?

KatCham

Established Member
It may be early days, but I was wondering how often cham enclosures should be thoroughly cleaned, and what is the best way to go about it?

I suppose I'm wondering how I'll do it too as Simba is small and very wary of my hand going in the enclosure so I don't want to stress him out.

I'm hoping in the next few weeks he'll get used to his new pad and my presence and not see me as a threat, eventually allowing me to take him out of his enclosure when it needs cleaning, and I'll pop him on a plant while I clean.

Any advice would be much appreciated. ;)

Clean the poop every day. Some people almost never do a "full-cleaning." I think a little chlorhexidine every now and then would probably be sufficient.

So I don't need to take everything out and clean thoroughly???? Just take the poop out? (Wipe off the leaves??) Don't want to stress Simba out if there's no need.

I would advise a Full heavy break apart cleaning every month or month and a half. A clean home is a happy home.

to get mine out without stressing them i connect a vine to an indoor tree and leave the door open they might be weary at first but it doesnt take them long to figure out theres freedom out there! lol

I would advise a Full heavy break apart cleaning every month or month and a half. A clean home is a happy home.

I was sure I had read every 3-4 weeks for a thorough clean. That's what I'll go with then.

Poop out that I can see and get to, thorough clean every month.

Then Simba will only be in a huff with me every month rather than every week LOL!!!

That should be best for both you and him. After some time it wont be a big deal to move him around. (that is if he is freindly)

i spot clean every day or two, remove the plants and vines every 2weeks or so for a wipe down and do a compleat tear down every 6weeks or so

hoj

That should be best for both you and him. After some time it wont be a big deal to move him around. (that is if he is freindly)

Yeah, thats' what I'm hoping. That as he grows he'll lose his fear and realise I'm not there to hurt him. Hope he's friendly too!!! Then cleaning etc.... won't be a prob.

Then I'll be able to handle him when I clean his enclosure or when I put him on a plant outside, for the single day of Summer over here in England LOL!!!

just curious but how strong of an odor is chammy poop? im assuming they pee also? and if your going to use newspaper for a substrate wouldnt it be advisable to cut an outline of the pot of the plant/tree that you have in the cage so that when your going to take out the waste paper you just pull out the already cut portion instead of having to remove the entire contents of the cage, thus reducing the stress level of the chammy, if you understand what im saying...

There shouldn't be a strong odor if any. You probably also shouldn't be holding it up to your face or anything either... No pee, just urate.

Like I said, some very experienced members almost never do a full clean out. Cleaning branches is probably a good idea though.

Sooo, im thinking im a neurotic owner!?
I completly pull everything out and clean twice a week with poop and spot cleaning everyday. But im also lucky I have a Cham who loves to come out and play :)
It was warm and drizzly the other day and still went outside to play.

Back
Top Bottom