How often do your chams eat?

BeccaC

I noticed my Cham, he’s a couple months old, ate one horned worm two days ago. He hasn’t eaten much since, is it normal for them to eat really good one day and not so much for a few days?

I noticed my Cham, he’s a couple months old, ate one horned worm two days ago. He hasn’t eaten much since, is it normal for them to eat really good one day and not so much for a few days?
At a couple months my guy ate easily a dozen feeders each day.... They are hard wired when babies to eat and eat so they grow quickly. What are you feeding? Have you gotten a stool sample tested for parasites yet?

At a couple months my guy ate easily a dozen feeders each day.... They are hard wired when babies to eat and eat so they grow quickly. What are you feeding? Have you gotten a stool sample tested for parasites yet?
No stool sampled. Still trying to find a vet near us that takes reptiles. I feed him a variety of different things, crickets, super worms, wax worms, occasional horned worm. His last stool though was kinda funny looking though. Like a full wax worm was actually in his stool.

No stool sampled. Still trying to find a vet near us that takes reptiles. I feed him a variety of different things, crickets, super worms, wax worms, occasional horned worm. His last stool though was kinda funny looking though. Like a full wax worm was actually in his stool.
Wax worms can be harder for them to digest. They also are not high on the list when it comes to the nutrients they get from them. Mine gets these very rarely but only because they are his cake so to speak. I feed Dubia, BSFL, Crickets, and Hornworms 3 times a week. Mine is 7 months old so right now he is on 10 every other day and 8 the opposite day. I am working him down on the 8 day by 2 every two weeks. Then once he is on every other day feeding I will work down the 10 a day to 6-7.
I would try to find a vet that can run the fecal for you. He may have parasites and that is why he is not eating. Or does the inside of his mouth look abnormal? Sometimes when the husbandry is off this can also pose an issue to them eating. You could always fill out the how to ask for help form so everyone can get a full picture of what might be the eating issue.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

It's not totally unusual for a juvenile (over 6 mos.) to skip a day or more after a big special meal but for one so young it is a bit off. If his appetite doesn't pick right back up I would look for an underlying cause like low temperatures or a parasite burden.

How big was the hornworm, too. A big meal could keep him happy for a day or two. I’ve also noticed ours seems to slow down a little when shedding. Then his appetite picks up again.

It's not totally unusual for a juvenile (over 6 mos.) to skip a day or more after a big special meal but for one so young it is a bit off. If his appetite doesn't pick right back up I would look for an underlying cause like low temperatures or a parasite burden.
Current temperature is 75. Humidity of 80.

Horn worms, superworms and silkworms can be like delicacies to chams and they will strike until they get it again.

The scary thing is that at that age mine were eating 20 crickets a day. You want to make sure this strike breaks soon or there could be something wrong. Their Matabolism is really high at that age. How long has the strike been going?

2 days maybe. I’m really trying to get him back to healthy. He was great a few days ago. Even hissing at me. I want to make
Sure he has the best he can. This is the kind of set up I have. I want to know if I need to change something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 76
Chameleon cantina huh? Haven't seen one of those in use. They look cool.

Your humidity seems high. What's your basking temp?

Horn worms, superworms and silkworms can be like delicacies to chams and they will strike until they get it again.

The scary thing is that at that age mine were eating 20 crickets a day. You want to make sure this strike breaks soon or there could be something wrong. Their Matabolism is really high at that age. How long has the strike been going?
He had another horned worm in his cage. He didn’t eat it.

How old exactly? A couple to me means 2, and they usually aren't(and shouldn't be) sold before around 4 months. As mentioned this happens sometimes around 6+months
My husband bought him from a little dinky pet store in our town. When he got him he said they told him about 6-8 weeks. So they didn’t even know.

Back
Top Bottom