How often do you do a decent cleaning or sanitize feeder bins?

Franquixote

Established Member
I have been kind of trying to do pretty thorough cleaning like every 3 weeks but with cold weather coming now it's going to be a huge hassle. I have all my feeders in big Sterilite bins (90L) and it's hours to properly sanitize them. I change food daily and remove dead insects and swap out egg crate (actually 4 pack coffee cup holders from convenience stores) but I'm hoping that I can go a few months between thorough cleaning in the winter.
Let me know your routines regarding both feeder and enclosure cleaning. I can't do bio-active because I only have 2" or so of room (or can I?) on the floor of the chameleon enclosure.

Even after 3-4 months I don't feel like I have anything down to a routine yet and I feel like I'm spending way too much time, so hoping some more experienced keepers can enlighten me to some time saving tips and tricks.

I have been kind of trying to do pretty thorough cleaning like every 3 weeks but with cold weather coming now it's going to be a huge hassle. I have all my feeders in big Sterilite bins (90L) and it's hours to properly sanitize them. I change food daily and remove dead insects and swap out egg crate (actually 4 pack coffee cup holders from convenience stores) but I'm hoping that I can go a few months between thorough cleaning in the winter.
Let me know your routines regarding both feeder and enclosure cleaning. I can't do bio-active because I only have 2" or so of room (or can I?) on the floor of the chameleon enclosure.

Even after 3-4 months I don't feel like I have anything down to a routine yet and I feel like I'm spending way too much time, so hoping some more experienced keepers can enlighten me to some time saving tips and tricks.
I know what you are talking about. I always hated cleaning cricket or dubia bins because they just smell bad, and in my opinion are creepy when they crawl all over you. I recommend a basic cleaning every 2ish weeks (this discludes taking out gut loading stuff, because that rots quick, take it out ,depending on what is the gut load, from hours, to 3 days usually.) A deep cleaning (replacing egg cartons and wiping everything out versus just cleaning out poop and other things like a spot clean) for me takes place usually from 2 to 4 weeks depending on the amount of crickets (more crickets/dubia or other feeders=more poop) and overall filth or smell of the bin.

One thing I've done for years with feeder bins is to have two for each type of insect so you just move the insects to the clean bin and then cleanmout the dirty bin. This is not too hard if you shake all the ninsects off the dirty egg cartons so the ninsects are still min the dirty bin and then let them crawl onto the clean egg cartons and move the clean egg cartons covered with the insects tomthe clean bin. Hope I explained it clearly enough.

You did, thanks for the replies. Maybe I am just using bins that are unnecessarily big- I think mine are 24 5/8" x 18 3/4" x 19 1/8"

Back
Top Bottom