How often and for how long should I mist my new panther chameleon

BrennaNxoxo

I have a new male adult panther chameleon, I have a dripping system and a reptifogger for him but I was wonder how long and how often I should most him for?

What are your humidity levels without the fogger?. You probably don't even need it if you run a dripper and mist periodically. Foggers can create too damp of conditions which can lead to respiratory infections. I would run the dripper all day long and have some sort of shallow container to catch the water below or you can use something deeper if you cover it with screen or something some your chameleon cannot fall in and drown. The misiting can be done like 3 or 4 times a day for intervals of about 3-5 minutes. If you don't mist long enough, some chameleons will not drink.

What are your humidity levels without the fogger?. You probably don't even need it if you run a dripper and mist periodically. Foggers can create too damp of conditions which can lead to respiratory infections. I would run the dripper all day long and have some sort of shallow container to catch the water below or you can use something deeper if you cover it with screen or something some your chameleon cannot fall in and drown. The misiting can be done like 3 or 4 times a day for intervals of about 3-5 minutes. If you don't mist long enough, some chameleons will not drink.

At the top of the cage around 45 and 62 at the bottom, but I've been using a 2 inch layer of coco fiber dirt to absorb the dropped water and a heating pad at the bottom to dry it up and create humidity because I was told this was fine

My cage is half screen half glass

I would not run the fogger then. You don't want your humidity to be constantly high. When you mist you will see it will raise and then drop after awhile. I would think the cocofiber will get wet and yucky after awhile, especially if you are running a heater under it. Sounds like the perfect set up to breed mold and bacteria-water/heat. I would remove the heater. No one uses those. What is your cage size? Is it a terrarium? What are your cage temps?

I would not run the fogger then. You don't want your humidity to be constantly high. When you mist you will see it will raise and then drop after awhile. I would think the cocofiber will get wet and yucky after awhile, especially if you are running a heater under it. Sounds like the perfect set up to breed mold and bacteria-water/heat. I would remove the heater. No one uses those. What is your cage size? Is it a terrarium? What are your cage temps?

It's 18 by 18 by 42, is the cocoa fiber ok ? And the heat at the top is between 85-91 and the bottom is 73-76

The temps are fine but I would lose the the bedding as its not needed at all and I'm not sure about coconut fiber bunything at the bottom besides maybe paper towels or artificial turf can be a choking hazard. For panther cham use a uvb 5.0 and a regular lightbulb for basking, I use a misting system as its just easy and you should be a OK. Just reread your post, with your cham house being half glass you for sure don't need bedding at the bottom to keep humidity. PS a misting system and a fogger are two totally different things... Usually. A mister is larger almost rain like drops where as a fogger is.. Well a fogger lol very very light floating mist. Most people won't recommend it but I've had my little dude for almost 2 years now with no problems and the monsoon 400 with a separate on/off timer is a nice mister.

Back
Top Bottom