How much to feed a 2 1/2 month old vieled chameleon.

trustingtristen

I have male (Rango) and Female (Zielly) vieled chameleons about 2 - 3 months old, I usually give about 5-6 crickets and a 2-3 wax, and or meal worms throughout the day and once a week I give them one horn worm each however those suckers grow so fast sometimes my chameleons don't want them because to big. How much is normal am I overfeeding them? I do not weigh them which I think I should at this point to make sure they are of healthy weight. What is normal of amount of food chameleons eat of this age. I will say at times if I show them a cricket they do not eat them so I assume they have had enough. Do you put in a feeder bowl or hand feed them or leave crickets in cage to hunt for them?

You cant under feed a male, "at least" give him as much as he can eat in a sitting, daily. Some would say at that age to even offer a full belly twice a day till 120 days old or so.

Females again, as much as they want, once a day, till 120 days old. After that i would start offering as much as they want once a day, every other or every 3rd day. If you over feed a female, she may produce eggs too soon.

I only cup/feeder feed, so if you just throw in handfuls of feeders, my advice wouldnt really work...

I have male (Rango) and Female (Zielly) vieled chameleons about 2 - 3 months old, I usually give about 5-6 crickets and a 2-3 wax, and or meal worms throughout the day and once a week I give them one horn worm each however those suckers grow so fast sometimes my chameleons don't want them because to big. How much is normal am I overfeeding them? I do not weigh them which I think I should at this point to make sure they are of healthy weight. What is normal of amount of food chameleons eat of this age. I will say at times if I show them a cricket they do not eat them so I assume they have had enough. Do you put in a feeder bowl or hand feed them or leave crickets in cage to hunt for them?
Wax and meal worms have no nutritional value. You should get some black soldier fly larvae. Flightless fruit flies work for young Chams also. Enjoy...they don't stay little long.

You cant under feed a male, "at least" give him as much as he can eat in a sitting, daily. Some would say at that age to even offer a full belly twice a day till 120 days old or so.

Females again, as much as they want, once a day, till 120 days old. After that i would start offering as much as they want once a day, every other or every 3rd day. If you over feed a female, she may produce eggs too soon.

I only cup/feeder feed, so if you just throw in handfuls of feeders, my advice wouldnt really work...
He usually is feed around 10 twice a day but hes wanting more, i was just worried as pet shop advised to only give 12 a day as it can cause digestion problems

He usually is feed around 10 twice a day but hes wanting more, i was just worried as pet shop advised to only give 12 a day as it can cause digestion problems

In another thread i mentioned they will have growth spurts for a few days to a week where they eat alot more. This is why a recommend to feed enough that there are left overs at the end of the feeding. When my male was a sub adult, 2 dozen full size crickets in a feeding was not out of the question certain times of the month(after all the little guys are doubling body weight every month or 2).

And again, this is for "males". But no, "over feeding" wont cause digestive issues, too many tough feeders, or keeping the chameleon cold, will.

In another thread i mentioned they will have growth spurts for a few days to a week where they eat alot more. This is why a recommend to feed enough that there are left overs at the end of the feeding. When my male was a sub adult, 2 dozen full size crickets in a feeding was not out of the question certain times of the month(after all the little guys are doubling body weight every month or 2).

And again, this is for "males". But no, "over feeding" wont cause digestive issues, too many tough feeders, or keeping the chameleon cold, will.
Thank u

Back
Top Bottom