How much silkworm chow will I need?

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
I’m planning on buying silkworm eggs to raise and breed (and feed to my chameleon), but I’m not sure how much silkworm chow I will need. I guess a better question will be how many eggs I should buy and how much chow will I need to raise that amount. My main concern is price, because it seems expensive, but I guess that just depends on how much I need. I only need to feed one chameleon, but I also need extra worms to breed more.

I was originally planning to blanch and freeze fresh mullberry leaves, but I waited too long and the leaves are yellow, so I’m assuming they probably won’t work anymore, and I just got a few inches of snow today, so I’m not sure how well the leaves would work

Last edited:
I have never had any success hatching eggs that I bought, so I can’t help you out there. I started with silkworms and let them become moths to get my silkworm breeding started. I buy my chow off eBay (best price I can find) by the pound and prepare it in 1/4 lb batches to prevent waste. I’ve never really done the math, but I’d say 1/4 lb of chow is good for 50-100 silkies from egg to feeding size or larger.

I have never had any success hatching eggs that I bought, so I can’t help you out there. I started with silkworms and let them become moths to get my silkworm breeding started. I buy my chow off eBay (best price I can find) by the pound and prepare it in 1/4 lb batches to prevent waste. I’ve never really done the math, but I’d say 1/4 lb of chow is good for 50-100 silkies from egg to feeding size or larger.
I agree with @MissSkittles and you may need a little more if your going to moths/ depending on how much is eaten. Www.silkwormstore.com has a pretty good care sheet you might want to look at.

Last edited:
A 1/2 lb bag is good for up to 1000 worms if your plan is to feed them off at about 1/2”. Buy more if you plan to grow them larger or breed them.
If you’re in the US DM me, I can ship some chow today if you need it by the weekend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom