how much should a cham drink?

how much should a chameleon drink? lately (the past few days) my chameleon seems to really like water.:rolleyes: ive never seen him drink this much!:confused:

ive seen him drink 3x today. each time about for 5 min.:eek:
the wierd thing is, he will only drink when I'm around, i put a water bottle up to him and put little drips of water.
i saw him drink yesterday for about the same amount of time. today he poooped a gleaming white urate!
i know its a good thing hes drinking and stuff but how often does your chameleon drink?

They are animals, they will drink until their thirst is quenched :D if you are thirsty and water is there you take a drink so i dont think that your cham can overdrink really. I could be wrong mind you lol hopefully someone more experienced will know

Try adding a dripper to the cage. That way it can drink without you having to be there. Mine drink every day, usually twice a day for a couple minutes each time.

I have not seen my chameleon drink in proably 2 months! It drives me crazy!!!! Sometimes his urates look fine and other times a little orangy. I have tried EVERYTHING to get him to drink! You name it, I have tried it!!!

Try adding a dripper to the cage. That way it can drink without you having to be there. Mine drink every day, usually twice a day for a couple minutes each time.

i would but i am just worried that it will grow algea on it. :p

carol that would drive me crazy too!:eek:

I use plastic cups with pin holes in the bottom for drippers and just wipe them out after every couple uses. That way they don't grow algae and plus the water isn't in the drippers long enough to grow algae. They drip out in about half and hour and my chams drink for anywhere from 2-15mins depending on how humid or not and how hot or not it was in their room the day before. Some of my chams I have never seen drink however they have perfect white urates so I don't worry. Some are just closet drinkers. IF you know they don't drink when you are around just make sure you have a dripper on them longer just so you know they have time to come out from hiding and find the water.

lol it must be this indiana weather.my guy has been drinking like crazy also. he will literally drink for 10-15 minutes.

i would but i am just worried that it will grow algea on it. :p

well obviously you clean the dripper container now and then. I put it in the dishwasher once a month, and give it a wipe with paper toweling in-between times. The water wouldnt be sitting in the dripper for more than a few hours at a time anyhow.

If the humidity is low, the temperature high, or the food you are using isnt juicy, you're going to see them drink more too, eh?

well obviously you clean the dripper container now and then. I put it in the dishwasher once a month, and give it a wipe with paper toweling in-between times. The water wouldnt be sitting in the dripper for more than a few hours at a time anyhow.

If the humidity is low, the temperature high, or the food you are using isnt juicy, you're going to see them drink more too, eh?

I wonder about that? Ever since my chameleon eats silkworms I never see him drink. I don't know if there is a connection or not but when he was just eating crickets in his diet I used to see him drink all the time. I know silkworms contain alot of juice!

I wonder about that? Ever since my chameleon eats silkworms I never see him drink. I don't know if there is a connection or not but when he was just eating crickets in his diet I used to see him drink all the time. I know silkworms contain alot of juice!

i think it could be, hornworms are packed with the most juice and guts!:p

i remember when my cham ate a hornworm, a bunch of guts squrted out the end. eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!:eek:

I agree with Clifford. A dripper is a good idea. Also what you feed your chameleon and the environmental conditions do play a role.

You wonder correctly. Silkworms can provide more hydration than crickets. It depends a great deal also on what your feeding them of course. But even with "juicy" prey, the chameleon should still be drinking water, as its unlikely it will get enough via just the prey alone.

Chameleons should drink more when on medicine. Not relevant to the OP's question directly, but still relevant.

awww

AWWWW he's sooo handsome, really tame too! Excuse my newbie questions, but he's a veiled right? how did you hand tame him like that, I thought in general cham's don't want to be handled, he's loving it !!!!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom