How much is too much?

mightymisha9

We just adopted our 8 month old male veiled and he is doing really great settling in. He seems like he's hungry alllllllll the time, though. I've been feeding him med/lg dubias and he LOVES them, is a great hunter, and will take them from my hands or his vertical feeding cup without hesitation. In fact, whenever I open his door, he starts looking for more roaches. I'm worried about overfeeding him. How many med-lg dubias is healthy for this active, growing boy? I started a breeding colony of roaches, but they're just getting going, and am going to mix in some hornworms and butterworms tomorrow or this weekend.

Hobbes also seems to be a bit of a shy drinker. He came home from the expo and immediately starting lapping up water as fast as he could, but I haven't seen him drink since. Urates look healthy (though separate from the fecal; is that normal?) and he just started and finished a shed in 3 days, so I'm not super worried about hydration, but is he getting much from the roaches and that's why I'm not seeing him drink as much?

Thanks for the info! I'm happy to have this great forum as a resource!

when he is a year old feed him just everyother day. give him a good spray 2 times a day and check his poop so the White part is White and not yello or orange.

when he is a year old feed him just everyother day. give him a good spray 2 times a day and check his poop so the White part is White and not yello or orange.
Thanks for the info! What about now, when he's only 8 months? How many large dubias should he be eating? Last night and this morning, he's been gaping/yawning a bit and puffing out his chin...could he have indigestion from too many bugs?!

Thanks for the info! What about now, when he's only 8 months? How many large dubias should he be eating? Last night and this morning, he's been gaping/yawning a bit and puffing out his chin...could he have indigestion from too many bugs?!

It really depends on his size and the size of the bugs relative to his body mass. From the veiled care sheet here: "Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day." Except substitute crickets for roaches in your specific question (factoring in the size difference between the roaches you're using versus the crickets)

that could be RI, do you hear any sounds when he is breathing opening his mounth?

Check basking temp to see if it's too hot.
According to my hygrometer/thermometer, his basking temp is averaging about 81* F and humidity at the top is between 50-60%. He spends all of his time at the top of the viv, the temp averages much lower at the bottom (68-70*) and much higher humidity (70-80%). The viv is full of live plants, but Hobbes is spending most of his time just flattened out under his basking light. I am going to try to get him a vet appointment ASAP.

Could still be respiratory infection even without a noticeable noise coming from him. Check out this article and see if anything seems familiar to you.

http://chamworld.blogspot.co.za/2008/01/upper-respiratory-infection-warning.html?m=1
Thank you for the article. The only thing I'm noticing is the occasional gaping, although tonight before bed, I noticed him sitting with his mouth open for about 30 seconds. I am going to try to schedule a vet appt ASAP.

I know the advice is to let the vivarium dry out between mistings; does that mean to let the humidity levels drop, or just let the plants dry off so there isn't any noticeable wetness? I'm already concerned that the top of his viv isn't humid enough, especially since that's where he spends ALL of his time. I know that RIs can happen when the air is too wet OR too dry. He really hates being spritzed with the spray bottle, but I am trying to keep his humidity levels up.

I know the advice is to let the vivarium dry out between mistings; does that mean to let the humidity levels drop, or just let the plants dry off so there isn't any noticeable wetness? I'm already concerned that the top of his viv isn't humid enough, especially since that's where he spends ALL of his time. I know that RIs can happen when the air is too wet OR too dry. He really hates being spritzed with the spray bottle, but I am trying to keep his humidity levels up.
My little fella HATES the sudden blast of mist from a pump style sprayer. Instead, I use the pump to pressureize one . I start spraying away from him so he sees the water and then bring it to over him. It takes away the surprise and really let's him enjoy. Once I've given him his "shower" I'll spray him with the tropical mist solution by exo Terra. Seems to bother him a lot less then.
As fast as drying out between mistings, they're referring to visible water, not your Rh.

Back
Top Bottom