How much is to much?

I feed my chameleon every other day. I’ll give him as much as he will eat in a 30 min period. He ways seems hungry and will always eat anything I see to give him. I give him crickets, dubia roaches, super worms and occasionally horn worms. Is it bad that he always seems hungry? Should I feed him more often?

How old is your guy? Sorry if you mentioned that in a previous thread, but I can't remember and feeding is fairly age-dependent!

Prior to adulthood, 10-12 appropriately sized crickets - or the equivalent depending on what you're feeding at the time - is a safe bet. Chameleons tend to be total gluttons and often will eat whatever is in their line of sight, per their evolutionary programming. Since wild chameleons never know when their next meal will be (and captive chams don't know the difference between captivity and the wild), they see food and are naturally inclined to eat their fill to make sure they survive to see another day

He’s just under 8 months old. And I try to feed him around 12 insects every other day. I mix it up. So I’ll give him like 6 roaches and 6 crickets or 6 super worms and 6 roaches anything like that. But if he still seems hungry in a 30 min period I’ll feed him a little more. Not much more though I don’t want him to over eat.

With a male...if he starts to get fat then it's too much. You want him to reach full adult size but not end up fat.....just pleasingly plump.

Back
Top Bottom