How Much Food Is Enough

hummer121

How much should a panther chameleon eat as a sub-adult and as an adult? How many days a week should there be no food? Thanks all.

How much should a panther chameleon eat as a sub-adult and as an adult? How many days a week should there be no food? Thanks all.
I have a veiled, but there requirements are roughly the same.
My boy is 7 months, and I feed him about 5-6 medium crickets every other day.
As an adult, many feed every other day, or every 2 days, depending on their cham. about 4-6 large crickets i think is good.

Feed as much as they will eat in 5 minutes, early in the day and in the later afternoon. When they reach the desired size and weight (without being obese), cut back to as much as they will eat in 5 minutes once a day.

My baby panthers have unlimited food in their cages, so I don't know how much they eat, but they sure poop a lot. I would guess over 10-15 food items a day as babies (3 months)......this is crickets, roaches, fruit flies, and bean weevils. Along with wild collected aphids, caterpillars, and sow bugs.

My adult males eat between 6-12 items per day. Usually more around 6-8. These are larger dubia roaches, adult Turkestan roaches, large silkworms, silk moths, and any nice big wild bugs I find (grubs, grasshoppers, moths).

My female really varies, depending if she is gravid. Some days she only eats 2 items, a lot of days she eats nothing, and other days she will eat 10 items.

My Faly is currently 7 to 8 months old at can eat roughly 15 crickets per day. Is this too much or is it ok. Should I be skipping a day or more per week with no food?

What does an obese cham look like? I have female veiled about 2.5 yo. I was feeding her 10 large crickets a day with a super worm here and there (I was not too educated on proper cham care.) I have since cut back. She looks good to me. But I don't have anything to compare her with.

Babies get as much as they can eat in 5 minutes, 2-4 times daily
Sub adults at my house get about 4-6 bugs daily.
adults 1-5 bugs per day, about six days a week.

depends on the type of bug, the age/activity level of the chameleon, the gendre of the chameleon, etc.

if you want to see specifics of how I feed, I keep a fairly detailed log in my blog on this forum: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/food-diary/
Usually I log only what the adult males eat, but flip through and you will also find months where young or females are documented as well

Back
Top Bottom