How much food does she need?

spottea

Had my new chameleon about 2 weeks now. She is small, a juvenile I was told, so I think her cage is too big, but she'll grow into it I'm sure!
I have fed her small crickets, dusted with plain calcium, which I think she gets most of them. Also, Phoenix worms, a few waxworms, most of which fell onto the floor or into the flowerpot.
Yesterday, I got some bluebottles, thank heavens, as at least they fly and don't end up under the stones in the pot. They were a huge hit!
My question is, how many flies, crickets etc should I give her in a day? I don't want to starve her, but so much of the food seems to vanish into crannies, flowerpot!
Tomorrow I'm going to cover the pebbles with a plastic mesh cover. I saw the stuff at Joann's and think I can cut it to fit around the schefflera. Then the buggars can't escape.
Appreciate some advice re food amounts.
Thanks

kinyonga

Chameleon Enthusiast
You didn't say what species...but generally as much as they will eat in some couple of minutes at each feeding. If she starts to get really plump then you can cut her back.

Make sure you feed/gutload the insects well and supplement/dust them with a phos - free calcium powder at most feedings.

ChamyLove

Something I found good for worms, is if you get a bird seed cup feeder thing, you can hang it on a branch in their cage and put their worms in that. That is what I do, and they never fall in the dirt. They are pretty cheap too. :) I got a set of 2 at petsmart for $1.50

spottea

You didn't say what species...but generally as much as they will eat in some couple of minutes at each feeding. If she starts to get really plump then you can cut her back.

Make sure you feed/gutload the insects well and supplement/dust them with a phos - free calcium powder at most feedings.
She's a Jackson's, and I am dusting the crickets with calcium. I'm saving the vitamins for the beginning of each month, so I don't forget! She's also outside,,and enjoying the warm weather. Thanks for the input.
Oh, and I bought some cricket crack,,so I've used that, plus sweet potato a couple of days ago,,and orange yesterday.
The dubias got veggies as well.

spottea

Something I found good for worms, is if you get a bird seed cup feeder thing, you can hang it on a branch in their cage and put their worms in that. That is what I do, and they never fall in the dirt. They are pretty cheap too. :) I got a set of 2 at petsmart for $1.50
Thanks. I'll try that. I was using a small Gladware container, but it's notmthe easiest pot to secure! Flying bugs are so much easier,,and land in the most tempting places.

kinyonga

Chameleon Enthusiast
I feed all the crickets, superworms, roaches a wide assortment of greens such as dandelions, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.

Top Bottom