How much electricity

KenjiK

Hey,

I'm new to chameleons and i'm just wondering how much having a chameleon will increase my electricity bill.

With one cage setup, and one mistking setup.

does anyone know how much it will increase monthly bills by?

just wondering due to the heating, lighting and watering intervals.

thanks

Hey,

I'm new to chameleons and i'm just wondering how much having a chameleon will increase my electricity bill.

With one cage setup, and one mistking setup.

does anyone know how much it will increase monthly bills by?

just wondering due to the heating, lighting and watering intervals.

thanks

I have 2 cages and a mist king and I think I've seen a 45 cent to dollar jump ;);)

Any additional uses of electricity will raise your bill.
Let's say you use a 60 watt heat bulb and another 20 watts for your UV bulb. That is 80 watts, if left on for 10 to 12 hours, that will be like leaving a light in the house on all day. I am not sure how much it will raise the electric bill, but I am sure it won't be that much.
When you start having 10 or more cages, the added electricity is very noticeable on your bill.
Lance

Semicolon fail.

I haven't noticed any significant jump in the electricity bill.

I do have a meter that I could check if/when I get really bored, though.

You're not going to get two answers the same. The cost of electricity is different all over the place. People heat/cool their homes to different degrees.

Add up the wattages used by your equipment, ask your electricity provider what the cost per watt or kilowatt (equal to one thousand watts) is and do the math.

I'm in the UK, so my pricing is really different to you guys, but I run roughly 200w in heating for 13 hours each day (so under 3 kilowatthours) and it costs like 25p a day. So not much at all! :D

Semicolon fail.

Not actually. It's not a use you'd learn about in a high school English class though.

You're not going to get two answers the same. The cost of electricity is different all over the place. People heat/cool their homes to different degrees.

Add up the wattages used by your equipment, ask your electricity provider what the cost per watt or kilowatt (equal to one thousand watts) is and do the math.

Too true. Some people pay less than $50/month for entire houses while I pay about three times that in a 2 bedroom apartment. Electric companies usually charge in kiloWatt-hours though.

Last edited:
buy a Co-OP apartment like me.
then you don't pay rent.
you pay a flat monthly fee to help share in the costs of bills like water and electricity, garbage removal, and other monthly maintanance.

but of course this doesn't help with your question...the above replys do help at least.:D

Harry

Well, i was planning to live in an apartment for school that included utilities. My gfs parents are looking at townhouses instead to purchase us for a better investment than just throwing money away to rent.

I just do not want to increase the electricity more than needed. My gf was inquiring how much this would increase the bill because she knows i want one.

Its easy to figure out. Figure out the wattage that your items use then just X that by your local rate. Add a little to account for some fudge factor.

In the US the average cost of electricity is about 5 bucks a month to run one 60 watt light 24/7. So yes you will see an increase but the amount can be made up just by turning the temp on your water heater down some. Most apartments/rental properties have the temp turned up way too high. You really don't need water for bathing to be hotter that 110F.

Putting a cheap mister on your AC unit's outside coil set to come on when the unit is on. (they sell these at most DIY stores) Will also help save some $ on that bill. It really helps increase the efficiency of exchanging heat.

Oh, the 5 dollar statistic was something my local Electric company stated on their website at one time. It could be more by now.

I'd say to worry more about the cost of feeders, taking care of the feeders and any vet bills you will incure with a chameleon. The electric cost really pales in comparision when you start adding up the other maintenance costs.

I am running 18 cages each running a 40-75W household bulb and a Reptisun (only 3 cages are sharing 1 36" bulb-the rest have their own fixture). My electric bill is about $50-$70 higher each month.

However, the forever showering teen aged boys, mega-laundry and dishes all on an electric water heater, and large screen TV's on 24/7 plus computers creates a lovely total electric bill of $420 a month! GAG! :(

I am running 18 cages each running a 40-75W household bulb and a Reptisun (only 3 cages are sharing 1 36" bulb-the rest have their own fixture). My electric bill is about $50-$70 higher each month.

However, the forever showering teen aged boys, mega-laundry and dishes all on an electric water heater, and large screen TV's on 24/7 plus computers creates a lovely total electric bill of $420 a month! GAG! :(

pfft! There was a time some 40 ish fishtanks ago, mine was running well over 700 a month.:eek:

Heres what they charge where i live in Orlando.

This information has been taken from - http://www.ouc.com/account/rates/electric-res.htm

Base Charge [ first 1,000 KWH ] 6.975 cents per KWH
Base Charge [ additional KWH ] 7.975 cents per KWH

Soooo if im doing my math correctly,

a 60 watt bulb running for 12 hrs = 60 x 12 which is 720

and a 20 watt UV bulb running for 12 hrs = 20 x 12 which is 240

720+240=960 which (lets just say we are over 1,000 KWH for the month) gives us a grand total of $0.07656 per day NOT per month, per cage.

This cannot be right...someone help me out here. (i figured out where i went wrong)

HUGE MASSIVE EDIT!!! (math was never a strong point for me)

0.07656 x 30 (days in a month) = $2.2968 Per cage per month

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom