how much does color count??

Revilee

I have a veiled she is about 5 months old now and we find her in her tank dark green with black spots? (its a 55gal,we are currently constructing a new habitat) i have a 1uva bulb + uvb heat bulb the tank is also close to a bay window so she gets plenty heat and sunlight..what could the cause be other the cold? she has a diet of crickets,many plants live in her tank.next time i see her with the color chang ill add a pic to the forum.

Colour is very important in understanding your chameleon, as this is their main way of communicating. Generally a dark colour will indicate either bad temperament (aka scared or angry), or because they are cold and trying to absorb heat.

If you fill in as much of the following information as possible it may help pin-point any issues with husbandry etc that could be affecting your cham's mood/temperature

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

im guessing she is around 5months we have had her for 3 she is a veiled cham. we use crickets to feed her about 4 a day they are feed flukers high cal doet food plus she nibbles on her plants..we use a humibifier for her main water but i also have a sm lid in the tank she can use to soak. her humidity stays around 75/80. the temp in the tank is 75/80 and i keep her basking light on at all times. we use a gauge that has both to tell temp/humidity.ill take pictures to show her tank set up (we are maken a new one as i said so this is temp)

2013-06-26 15.16.35.jpg

2013-06-26 15.00.56.jpg

Please provide more specific info on your lighting setup. "UVB heat bulb" cause me some concern. The only bulbs I know that provide UVB and heat are mercury vapor/metal halide lights, which are much too intense for a 5 month old cham

her plants include a pothos,bamboo,jade (which is small),panda plant (also small),and her vines.

as far as handleing her i try to take her outside once a week. other then that she dont get handled and when im doing plant care i make sure to move slow as i can as to not distress her.

I would go with a linear fluorescent reptisun 5.0 like pictured below. A standard 40w lightbulb should be perfect for basking (low to mid 80's in temperature).

p-231183-60870-reptile.jpg

ok ill get a few asap. her new cage will be way larger then she has now specs are 4ft tall by 2ft by3ft.

Back
Top Bottom