How many sheds?

Jammonlee

I know its not good to grow too fast, but is it not good to grow too slow?

Out of curiosity is there a "normal" amount of shed processes that a Chameleon a certain age should go through? For instance, my Waldo just had his 3rd shed today and he is just a eek over 5 months. Is that normal?

Also, how many sheds has it taken for everyone to start seeing some color or pattern develop? I'm in no rush as I'm perfectly fine with a pure green Chameleon as long as he is healthy, on the right track, and has that frown that for some reason always looks happy, just seems most chamelons on this site at that age have usually developed a little pattern and/or some color other then ......green.

i have had my veiled "Neo" for 3 months now and he looks to be around 4-5 months old judging on his size and the size of other chams his age and he has shed 3 times once a month for me...he is actually shedding today

If you want to compare you cham to another young one, look at my thread titled sun color vs inside color. https://www.chameleonforums.com/sun-color-vs-inside-color-62830/
The veiled in there is male, and is about 6 months old.
I have had him since he was 2 weeks, so he has gone thru every shed with me.
He has shed roughly 6 times since Ive gotten him.

He shed about two days ago, and he just started to develop some teal dots within his bars that you can begin to see in the photos. It takes time, and as long as he is healthy, just keep waiting.
babies normally shed about once a month until they are adults, but it varies cham to cham

Ive read through your thread Cami...My cam doesnt compare at all to yours in pattern or color, possibly in size. Without measuring him with a ruler, I'd say he looks to be the same size compared to him on your hand and him on mine, roughly 6-8" tip of tail to nose with his tail straight out. As far as color and size, he's pure green with to large dark (blackish) oval shaped dots on his middle torso on both sides. The only time I ever see a pattern is when he fires up, then he gets a black tiger stripe and polka dot pattern on him.

So, is 1 shed a month about normal then? Ive had him in my possession for 4 months and 12 days and have seen him shed 3 times total (once being today). Unless he had a mysterious shed while I was away at work for 24 hours...i didnt notice any free skin on the cage if so

Ive read through your thread Cami...My cam doesnt compare at all to yours in pattern or color, possibly in size. Without measuring him with a ruler, I'd say he looks to be the same size compared to him on your hand and him on mine, roughly 6-8" tip of tail to nose with his tail straight out. As far as color and size, he's pure green with to large dark (blackish) oval shaped dots on his middle torso on both sides. The only time I ever see a pattern is when he fires up, then he gets a black tiger stripe and polka dot pattern on him.

So, is 1 shed a month about normal then? Ive had him in my possession for 4 months and 12 days and have seen him shed 3 times total (once being today). Unless he had a mysterious shed while I was away at work for 24 hours...i didnt notice any free skin on the cage if so

Yes, one shed a month is perfectly normal for growing babies.
As for the patterns and colors, it can take some guys longer to get their colors in. My guy literally just developed the teal dots after this most recent shed.
It can be based on genetics, maybe his parents werent that colorful, or its simply gonna take more time for his to come in. Kind of like kids who are short till they are 14 or 15, then suddnely shoot up to 6 feet tall.
As long as he is healthy, then his pattenrs will come in eventually, maybe.
Maybe you hav ea guy who just wont be anything more than green... Kind of a luck of the draw.
Just give it time and be happy your cham is growing and healthy!

..just making sure patters or color arent any sign of accidental negligence.....he's healthy. his poops are enormous, larger then ive ever seen before.

Back
Top Bottom