How many people succeed with a chameleon as their first reptile/pet?

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just starting this thread to see how many people had luck with their first pets being a chameleon.

I'll start by saying that I had actually a great amount of success, my first pet ever was a female veiled, who grew up to be the size of some small males, laid eggs like a machine and was as friendly as could be. Surprisingly, despite her being my first pet, she lived to just shy of 3.5 years despite laying infertile clutches of 60+ eggs every three months, and me being completely new to both reptiles and chameleons.

Looking back, I can see that I had some shortcomings, and while the caresheet I was given from the breeder I purchased her from was adequate, it did however have some issues, mainly with habitat design, suggesting either sphagnum moss or coconut fiber to be on the bottom of the cage. This did however not prove an issue as she was always fed by hand or from a cup.
In addition, in the years since she passed, I realized that a lot of the stuff I was told from her breeder and also aspects of her cage that was designed by her breeder were wrong. For example also saying to feed her daily and give calcium with d3 and multivitamins on a weekly basis. And suggesting calcium with phosphorus and the cage setup from the breeder lacking sufficient cover, a decent automatic mister and very few climbing routes.

So in the end, how many of us had success stories like this and how much was learned from the time of getting our first chameleon to the time of getting our second chameleon.

Last edited:
Well its probably hard for people to comment, for like myself I had many other reptiles before chameleons. Fortunately, I bought my first one from a reputable breeder who has been in the business a very long time and guided me through the process of setting everything up correctly. My first chameleon lived to 3.5 yrs also, and died due to a chronic foot injury that led to other issues and not from my husbandry. I have been keeping for almost 8 yrs now and am still learning!! lol

IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4121.JPG
Well I had a few iguanas as a kid which are simple to care for but about 8 months ago after years later i seen a veiled chameleon in the local pet store. Decided I would give it a shot figured it would be easy bought her without doing any research. After getting home I wished I did found out what all the need to stay healthy so had to spend a lot of money but well worth it.
Ended up buying
large reptibreeze cage
Cold air humidifier
Uvb bulb
Calsium powders
Mister
Just saying do the research before buying I've had my female for around 8 months now and have had 2 clutchs off eggs layed.

View attachment 194065 View attachment 194066 Well I had a few iguanas as a kid which are simple to care for but about 8 months ago after years later i seen a veiled chameleon in the local pet store. Decided I would give it a shot figured it would be easy bought her without doing any research. After getting home I wished I did found out what all the need to stay healthy so had to spend a lot of money but well worth it.
Ended up buying
large reptibreeze cage
Cold air humidifier
Uvb bulb
Calsium powders
Mister
Just saying do the research before buying I've had my female for around 8 months now and have had 2 clutchs off eggs layed.
Cool, she looks gravid right now.

See I did the research before hand, but I still screwed up, I was young, I was in grade nine when I got my first chameleon in 2009.

I started out with a nosy be panther chameleon. But I did my research for over a year and I knew what I was getting into and all the care they need. I have 4 panther chameleons now and have had them for 2 years now.

I think a lot of it has to do with how much research you put in prior to bringing one home. I got my first one (a juvenile male jacksons) back in the late 90's when i was maybe 13 or 14 and thought it was coolest pet ever. Unfortunately i got pretty terrible care instructions from the pet store I bought him at and didn't know about misting (only had a Lol Dripper), supplements, or UVB (only had a basking bulb). Needless to say my guy didn't last more than 6 months and I was pretty heart broken when he passed. When I decided to try again 6 or so years ago I spent months researching husbandry and care requirements and was on this forum daily reading everything I could to not make the same mistakes.

My first reptile I ever got was an adult Panther chameleon. He was so friendly so that made everything a lot easier for me.
I think as long as you do tons of reasearch before hand and can financially afford every aspect of chameleon keeping, it's not that hard.

When I got my first chameleon...a Senegal male WC...there was almost no information about them at all....not in books or on line. After I got it "everyone" in the pet stores asked me why would I ever buy a chameleon...they only live three weeks. He lived with me for over a year...not as long as I hoped but I got his husbandry closer to right by accident than I might have. I had to beg the pet store to order me another one. They said I'd have to take it no matter what condition it was in and I did. She was also WC and an adult...species unknown but from the chamaeleo family. She was with me for over three years. Sometimes I wondered if I was "right" to have another one...should they just be left in the wild? My fascination won out though. Each species had a learning curve...all were WC until the mid to late 90's. I almost quit a few times because I didn't like losing some as I learned. I'm still sorry about the ones I lost...but I'm still fascinated too.

Back
Top Bottom