How many inches should the heat bulb sit?

emilhayek

Established Member
Hi everyone! i’m in the process of hanging up my heat bulb and i was wondering how high should the heat bulb sit? i know baby chams like to climb on the top of the enclosure. i’m using a 100 watt incandescent bulb. currently i have the bulb two inches away, going to bring the vines up higher for proper temperature

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 156929A6-CB91-4D82-9413-ECDE397A2F9C.jpeg
    156929A6-CB91-4D82-9413-ECDE397A2F9C.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 103
Hi everyone! i’m in the process of hanging up my heat bulb and i was wondering how high should the heat bulb sit? i know baby chams like to climb on the top of the enclosure. i’m using a 100 watt incandescent bulb. currently i have the bulb two inches away, going to bring the vines up higher for proper temperature
As long as you get the temps you need at the basking spot and your cham can’t burn itself, you’re good. Hold your hand under the lamp. If it’s not burning you, you should be fine.

As long as you get the temps you need at the basking spot and your cham can’t burn itself, you’re good. Hold your hand under the lamp. If it’s not burning you, you should be fine.
No burning, just a lil toasty on my hand ? the vine that’s under the bulb is reading 84 to 86 to 88. it fluctuates. my enclosure is for a baby panther. he’s not here yet.

No burning, just a lil toasty on my hand ? the vine that’s under the bulb is reading 84 to 86 to 88. it fluctuates. my enclosure is for a baby panther. he’s not here yet.
Sounds good to me. How are you elevating your dome and what’s the other dome for?

If it's toasty/uncomfortable on your hand I'd move it a bit higher off the cage.

What temperature are you aiming for for a baby Panther?

If it's toasty/uncomfortable on your hand I'd move it a bit higher off the cage.

What temperature are you aiming for for a baby Panther?
it’s not uncomfortable at all! it’s just a little warm but nothing where it’ll burn my hand at all. currently i’m getting 84-86 degrees. i have the vine ziptied to the screen, i can remove and reposition it if you guys think it’s too high. the fixture is at a slight curve as well

Attachments

• 8E9BDE25-3975-4B20-A00D-D74FD14D1543.png
    8E9BDE25-3975-4B20-A00D-D74FD14D1543.png
    980.8 KB · Views: 135
I have my basking lifted about 3 inches...

As far as the UVB with the T5HO and a 6% bulb placed directly on the screen you want about a 9 inch drop between the screen top and the closest basking branch.

I have my basking lifted about 3 inches...

As far as the UVB with the T5HO and a 6% bulb placed directly on the screen you want about a 9 inch drop between the screen top and the closest basking branch.
Gotcha, how did you hang your UVB?

I don't have mine hung... I have a quad that sits directly on the cage top. My UVI level out put is different then your single bulb fixture.

Bill Strand recommends getting one of those metal shelving units. Then the fixtures sit on top of the shelf the distance you need.

There may be more in this link https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/
“I usually choose the T5 HO 6% in a single bulb reflector mounted 6″ above my cages as my standard approach.” does that mean 6 inches from the basking branch? or 6 inches from the top screen?

“I usually choose the T5 HO 6% in a single bulb reflector mounted 6″ above my cages as my standard approach.” does that mean 6 inches from the basking branch? or 6 inches from the top screen?
6 inches from top screen... So if you were to do it the way Bill suggests then you would have the T5 up 4 inches above the top screen then from the top screen to basking branch it would be 5 inches.

6 inches from top screen... So if you were to do it the way Bill suggests then you would have the T5 up 4 inches above the top screen then from the top screen to basking branch it would be 5 inches.
sounds good, i just have no idea how to mount a t5 fixture... it’s super weird

sounds good, i just have no idea how to mount a t5 fixture... it’s super weird
Theres two metal plates that are for wooden viv attachment, im placing these into a shelf above my mesh cage, you could also suspend it with wires from roof. For reptibreeze xl size chrome shelving 610mm deep and wide enough to accommodate is over 200 quid. I don't have room for one those and you already got reptibreeze base which would make it redundant if you got one.

Back
Top Bottom