How many feeders is too much?

This is my boy Neon everybody
87374457-D2AA-4E76-BC0F-48C127747116.jpeg

O wow okay. Cool. How much do you feed on the weekends?

Hasn't moved? Or ate? That's crazy lol is that normal?

Weekend chameleons get about 3-5 adult dubia, depending if they are kings or queens.

The tegu is starting brumation. I just gave him a warm bath, and he might have done the final poop of the year. Hes so out of it he didnt even move when i put in back in the room wrapped in a towel. I came back a few hours later and he managed to drag himself to his normal sleeping spot. Stick a fork in him, i think hes done. Odds are he will wake up in feb/march and then shed.

Yall are lucky ! My chams have ate a few roaches but genuinely seem scared of discoids😂🙄. So I have to deal w stinky jumpy crickets ughhh
How do you mean, 'scared of'?

If you mean they don't pay much attention, this may have been addressed in another thread. All roaches are nocturnal (as opposed to our diurnal chameleons); they are also photophobic, so during daytime (or under lights), they tend to congregate in corners of a feeder receptacle, and remain motionless. This doesn't do much to stimulate the feeding response of chameleons—in the wild they pursue more active feeders.

One possible solution I've found is, when feeding roaches, add a second type of feeder (worm, larvae) that keep the roaches more active just by their presence. Just one or two will usually do.

If you mean they don't pay much attention, this may have been addressed in another thread. All roaches are nocturnal (as opposed to our diurnal chameleons); they are also photophobic, so during daytime (or under lights), they tend to congregate in corners of a feeder receptacle, and remain motionless. This doesn't do much to stimulate the feeding response of chameleons—in the wild they pursue more active feeders.

One possible solution I've found is, when feeding roaches, add a second type of feeder (worm, larvae) that keep the roaches more active just by their presence. Just one or two will usually do.

I dont know how many dozens are in there, but Mr. half antenna is always watching...

IMG_20211114_094029.jpg

IDK... Are those tiny polyhedral dice in front of the Sharpie? If so, it could explain a lot. :unsure:
Nope. They just be screws from a hard drive removal.

But honestly the roaches were in the garage, but the family was like "its too cold for them", so now they are 5 degrees warmer in the basement. And they still have noisy headbutt turf wars, or id have them in the lizard room :p

Like normally the roaches seem to intimidate them some . Not sure if it's the rapid movement or what but Ares doesn't seem to fond of them. Even my little blue ambanja seems to be kinda afraid of them 😂. Hoping as they turn adults they will change their outlook on them LOL

But honestly the roaches were in the garage, but the family was like "its too cold for them", so now they are 5 degrees warmer in the basement. And they still have noisy headbutt turf wars, or id have them in the lizard room :p
Turf wars ? 😂😂

Turf wars ? 😂😂

Alot of roach species will have males that stake out territory. If another male invades, they play "king of the mountain" and try to bump the other male off the property.

Dubia are more of "we are all in this together" and dont like to be more than an antenna touch away from another roach. About the only fights are between the males and females, if there is not enough females to go around :p

Close enough. :ROFLMAO:

I keep mine under the beardie's enclosure. Definitely noisier at night. The sound creeps out my Missus, but it's only hearable when she hits the 'mute' button. Karma? :LOL:

Like normally the roaches seem to intimidate them some . Not sure if it's the rapid movement or what but Ares doesn't seem to fond of them. Even my little blue ambanja seems to be kinda afraid of them 😂. Hoping as they turn adults they will change their outlook on them LOL
Yeah, mine went through a phase. A couple of days of no other choices, and suddenly they weren't so objectionable. ;)

Tossing another different feeder in the mix still helps. On days when I only give him dubias, he may eat 1-3. On days when I give him 6 dubias and 3 mealworms, he'll often eat everything.

About the only fights are between the males and females, if there is not enough females to go around :p
Are there ever enough females to go around?

Alot of roach species will have males that stake out territory. If another male invades, they play "king of the mountain" and try to bump the other male off the property.

Dubia are more of "we are all in this together" and dont like to be more than an antenna touch away from another roach. About the only fights are between the males and females, if there is not enough females to go around :p
Man i had no clue thats freaking hilarious 😂.
Yeah, mine went through a phase. A couple of days of no other choices, and suddenly they weren't so objectionable. ;)

Tossing another different feeder in the mix still helps. On days when I only give him dubias, he may eat 1-3. On days when I give him 6 dubias and 3 mealworms, he'll often eat everything.

Are there ever enough females to go around?
I like that couple of days with no choice idea 😂 . Been trying to break the cricket habit LOL. Most likely gonna do every other day feeding with him soon bc he's at that age where starting to get an appetite curve anyways. Also will try throwing in another feeder too ! Thanks for the info 💪🏻

Man i had no clue thats freaking hilarious 😂.

I like that couple of days with no choice idea 😂 . Been trying to break the cricket habit LOL. Most likely gonna do every other day feeding with him soon bc he's at that age where starting to get an appetite curve anyways. Also will try throwing in another feeder too ! Thanks for the info 💪🏻
I did it with my beardie as well to get him to eat greens & veggies (as they should as adults).

I did wait until both were pretty much grown; I don't like the technique while they're still growing rapidly, but that may just be me.

While my chameleon has self-regulated, the beardie has not—he's still a little piggy—thinking of changing his name to Cartman.

I did it with my beardie as well to get him to eat greens & veggies (as they should as adults).

I did wait until both were pretty much grown; I don't like the technique while they're still growing rapidly, but that may just be me.

While my chameleon has self-regulated, the beardie has not—he's still a little piggy—thinking of changing his name to Cartman.
Bro PLEASE change his name to Cartman 😂. And yes I 100% agree to not really do that while rapid growth but adult wise I don't see how it would hurt! & man my girl really wants a beardie haha

Bro PLEASE change his name to Cartman 😂. And yes I 100% agree to not really do that while rapid growth but adult wise I don't see how it would hurt! & man my girl really wants a beardie haha
Can't do that. His name is Ol' Stinkeye, and it fits like a bespoke suit!
Yes, with adults—fine.
Get her one, but have her do the research first, and get a decent enclosure & all that. (I know you will)
I built mine—60" x 24" x 36" but if you want a commercial enclosure, I like Zen Habitats. ;)

Can't do that. His name is Ol' Stinkeye, and it fits like a bespoke suit!
Yes, with adults—fine.
Get her one, but have her do the research first, and get a decent enclosure & all that. (I know you will)
I built mine—60" x 24" x 36" but if you want a commercial enclosure, I like Zen Habitats. ;)
Thanks for the advice . That's exactly what I told her is to do the research etc before getting one lol. I'll even look into it some but kinda got hands full with Chams right now 😂

Back
Top Bottom