How many feeders is too much?

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
My boy neon is 6 months old and he loves to eat. I usually feed him 15 feeders. As of late it seems like that his still hungry. Today I feed him 10 medium crickets 7 black larva flys 2 small horn worms

Usually people slow down on feeders once they are around a year. They'll kind of naturally slow down at some point too -- taking less feeders than you give them. Do you feed every day? The amount is pretty large but if he eats then he eats. Better than him not eating.

Usually people slow down on feeders once they are around a year. They'll kind of naturally slow down at some point too -- taking less feeders than you give them. Do you feed every day? The amount is pretty large but if he eats then he eats. Better than him not eating.
Yea he eats everyday. The feeders are gone in a blink of eye as soon as they are put in the shooting gallery.

That's good then. As he gets older, a general rule of thumb is whatever they eat within 5 minutes. At a year you want to cut back for sure.

I feed sub adults as much as they will eat in one sitting, every other day. You will be surprised in the amount of food they will eat idling vs in a growth spurt. Mine will go from 2 dozen crickets a week, to 2 dozen crickets every other day for 5-6 feedings, and gain 10-25% in body weight, then go right back down to 2 dozen crickets a week.

Yup im a horrible monster. Once they are adults its weekend food only, other than an occational snack or two during the week if i find an escaping.
Not a monster. I sometimes fast my female. I've had her two years this month and she's never laid eggs. We do what we do. I've also fasted her for longer periods trying to get her to eat her d*** roaches and BSFL. Hasn't worked yet.

Not a monster. I sometimes fast my female. I've had her two years this month and she's never laid eggs. We do what we do. I've also fasted her for longer periods trying to get her to eat her d*** roaches and BSFL. Hasn't worked yet.

Funny thing is mine would refuse dubia as a sub adult and just be a cricket vacuum. Then as an adult he would only eat dubia and refuse crickets. Guess he figured out it was less work and less chewing to just eat adult dubia.

My guy used to love Dubia s now he won’t eat them except maybe one or two here and there. His favorite is bsfl. He likes crickets to.

My male panther cut himself down at around a year. (Self-regulating)
For a while, I kept feeding him what he'd been eating, but he'd only eat so much and leave the rest.
So I took my cue from him, and now I feed him less, but some days he'll still eat more or less.

I don't worry so much about numbers; I just monitor that he's not getting fat or thin, and what comes out looks 'healthy'.

Yup im a horrible monster. Once they are adults its weekend food only, other than an occational snack or two during the week if i find an escaping.
Can I ask why... I was told around 6-7 months you can cut back to every other day feedings. I do 3 days a week. No weekends. So wondering why only weekends? What does that benefit?

My guy used to love Dubia s now he won’t eat them except maybe one or two here and there. His favorite is bsfl. He likes crickets to.
Wasabi I swear was on roach strike. But I found if I feed them to him he will eat them. I don't give him larvae to often. But he loves his flies. Soldier & spike.

I made a BIG mistake though. I bought 250 spike flies. & let them all be in the container. Problem is they are all turning into flies the same time lmfaooo. These are intense fat flies! 😳

Can I ask why... I was told around 6-7 months you can cut back to every other day feedings. I do 3 days a week. No weekends. So wondering why only weekends? What does that benefit?

Mainly just work/school schedule. But it works and has for 20 years. No one is fat/skinny, good vet checks, and no hunger strikes. Waaaay back in the day i did daily or every other day, and i remember a lot of force feeding, not just for chameleons.

In other news Mr lola the tegu hasnt ate or gone looking for food, or even moved, in six weeks. Still hisses if i try to pet him though :p

FWIW, Ol' GrumpyPants didn't take to dubias at first—maybe they're an acquired taste, like 'mushrooms, peaches, and bleu cheese drizzled with strawberry vinaigrette' .... 😋

He's more enthusiastic about them after a fast, or when combined with other feeders in the same bowl.

If I put 6 med. dubias in his bowl, he may eat 1-3 of them.
If I put 6 med. dubias and 6 giant mealworms in his bowl, he'll eat everything.

I think because the Dubia don’t move much is why Eustis doesn’t eat them as much so I put a couple crickets in with them so hopefully they move around. Today he got 3 Dubia and 3 crickets. Looks like he ate all but one Dubia, I can never be sure how many crickets he eats though because they jump out of the cup.

My boy neon is 6 months old and he loves to eat. I usually feed him 15 feeders. As of late it seems like that his still hungry. Today I feed him 10 medium crickets 7 black larva flys 2 small horn worms
At 6 months your fine to feed as much as you are. They are growing still quite a bit. Is this a Veiled or a Panther?

I think because the Dubia don’t move much is why Eustis doesn’t eat them as much so I put a couple crickets in with them so hopefully they move around. Today he got 3 Dubia and 3 crickets. Looks like he ate all but one Dubia, I can never be sure how many crickets he eats though because they jump out of the cup.
Agreed—feeding response. Even a couple of giant mealworms is enough to keep them moving.

It’s a panther chameleon
Then you are fine. Continue with what your doing. He is growing... You should notice him naturally curb back. Probably around the 9 month mark. By a year old you want to have him on an every other day feeding schedule with no more then 5 feeders each feeding. At that point watch his casque shape. With Panthers you do not want it to be a bubble shape. This indicates they are holding fat.

Mainly just work/school schedule. But it works and has for 20 years. No one is fat/skinny, good vet checks, and no hunger strikes. Waaaay back in the day i did daily or every other day, and i remember a lot of force feeding, not just for chameleons.

In other news Mr lola the tegu hasnt ate or gone looking for food, or even moved, in six weeks. Still hisses if i try to pet him though :p
O wow okay. Cool. How much do you feed on the weekends?

Hasn't moved? Or ate? That's crazy lol is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom