how many dubia roaches

ellrrz

so ive been looking at a few posts and found a blog as well that says dubias are a great food item. i thought i read on a site or a blog somewhere the dubias are good in calcium to phosphorus ratio and that they dont need to be dusted just fed a various assortment of fruits veggies.

and if they are good im looking at getting a few extra small nymphs to see if he will enjoy them but am not sure how many would be a good start per day

anyone have opinions on this

thanks
johnny

I'd say get a cup of 100 mixed size nymphs, that way you'll get a taste (hopefully not literally) of each size baby. I'll throw in a male or two adults so you can check those out too.

How old is your little guy?

hes only about 3months and a week. ive been giving him about 1/4" crickets. i saw that at roach ranch they had those extra small and was just going to get a few to see if he would eat those before i dive in (figuratively speaking) to roaches.

how about as far as dusting them goes? is what ive heard about not having to dust true?

I'd say get a cup of 100 mixed size nymphs, that way you'll get a taste (hopefully not literally) of each size baby. I'll throw in a male or two adults so you can check those out too.

You dust them the same as crickets.

The main benifits of dubias over crickets are:
  • Next to no smell
  • No vocalizations
  • No Die off (like crickets have)
  • Grow slowly
  • Have long lives (12 to 24 months, grow to adults in 4 to 5 months)
  • No jumping
  • Slower

I got a 500 mixed cup from Dave when I wanted to try them out. They have been breeding since they got here. I still have all sorts of sizes, my chams prefer them.

You dust them the same as crickets.

The main benifits of dubias over crickets are:
  • Next to no smell
  • No vocalizationsLOL
  • No Die off (like crickets have)
  • Grow slowly
  • Have long lives (12 to 24 months, grow to adults in 4 to 5 months)
  • No jumping
  • Slower

These are all very true, they are hands down easier than crickets. They also resemble rolly pollys when small, and beetles when adult. So there not as freaky and definitely not as fast as say a cockroach.
I feed them in the same amounts I feed crickets. Same size cricket, same size roach=same total # of feeders.

sounds good i think ill probably order some to try have to see if he like them. definitely tired of having crickets jump out of the feeding cup and more than that jump out of the cage. thanks for the input

If he doesn't like them right away, wait until you have a white one (that just molted) and try feeding it to him. Sometimes they will only eat the white ones and you can slowly offer them ones that are darker and darker each time.

If he doesn't like them right away, wait until you have a white one (that just molted) and try feeding it to him. Sometimes they will only eat the white ones and you can slowly offer them ones that are darker and darker each time.

Very true. The bright color of the white ones stimulate feeding a lot.

Back
Top Bottom