How Many Dubia Roaches do I Feed My Panther Chameleon?

Jada Eason

Hi! I would like to know how many medium sized Dubia roaches I can feed to my 7 month old panther chameleon daily. However many I put, he eats all of them. Like today I put 10 and he ate all 10 but I don’t want this to lead to obesity. I just want to makes sure I’m not feeding him too many.

Attachments

• 7BBD55CA-09C1-4CDE-9B2A-C603691E989E.jpeg
    7BBD55CA-09C1-4CDE-9B2A-C603691E989E.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 0C2A4E73-641A-4E69-97AC-35A3EF23F798.jpeg
    0C2A4E73-641A-4E69-97AC-35A3EF23F798.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 319
I would feed 10 -15 medium size roaches - crickets every other day, and water every other day alternating water - food, that's what I do with all my chams close to adult size or over 8 months, but I use a lot of water, 1/2 - 3/4 gallon per viv from a hudson sprayer, I have alot of plants in my vivs

I would feed 10 -15 medium size roaches - crickets every other day, and water every other day alternating water - food, that's what I do with all my chams close to adult size or over 8 months, but I use a lot of water, 1/2 - 3/4 gallon per viv from a hudson sprayer, I have alot of plants in my vivs
Thank you so much! Do you think you could send me a picture of your chameleon cage set up?

My cham is also about 7 months old, and he's literally only down to 1-2 hornworms (fairly large) or 1-2 medium-large dubias per day. They're extremely filling though so I understand why, plus the dubias I feed him are well gutloaded + over an inch each. They're much bigger than what ones he was on a month prior lol. However he'll eat unlimited amounts of mealworms if I let him, or around 7-10 crickets, so I guess the dubias/hornworms = roughly that amount since he's full after one usually.

He's not thin by any means, and looks quite healthy but I've been wondering this very thing too! He even has days where he just doesn't want to eat, but then will have a great appetite the following day. I basically just will feed him as much as he's willing to eat, minus the mealworms (only give him like 5 max couple times a week).

What sizes are the dubia's ? Are they smaller mediums? Just curious to see if ours both eat similar amounts or not! Your little guy is gorgeous btw, he and my Felix look very much alike!!

This is with a medical scale accurate to 10mg:

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 2 dozen crickets, thats 3 adult male dubia by nutrition content.

If you want other sizes let me know. I tried a 1" nymph but it was 1.25g so i kinda gave up.

This is with a medical scale accurate to 10mg:

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 2 dozen crickets, thats 3 adult male dubia by nutrition content.

If you want other sizes let me know. I tried a 1" nymph but it was 1.25g so i kinda gave up.

@Kaizen

Is there a certain percentage weight of an adult chameleon that you should feed every other day. Say like 10-15% of thier body weight?

My cham is also about 7 months old, and he's literally only down to 1-2 hornworms (fairly large) or 1-2 medium-large dubias per day. They're extremely filling though so I understand why, plus the dubias I feed him are well gutloaded + over an inch each. They're much bigger than what ones he was on a month prior lol. However he'll eat unlimited amounts of mealworms if I let him, or around 7-10 crickets, so I guess the dubias/hornworms = roughly that amount since he's full after one usually.

He's not thin by any means, and looks quite healthy but I've been wondering this very thing too! He even has days where he just doesn't want to eat, but then will have a great appetite the following day. I basically just will feed him as much as he's willing to eat, minus the mealworms (only give him like 5 max couple times a week).

What sizes are the dubia's ? Are they smaller mediums? Just curious to see if ours both eat similar amounts or not! Your little guy is gorgeous btw, he and my Felix look very much alike!!
Thank you!! Mine are a mixture of bigger medium and smaller medium. I hope this picture helps to show you the size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom