How long to safely wait before breeding panther chameleon after egg laying

RedMountainHome

Established Member
Hey folks!

I've a female and a male panther. Male's over 4 years old, female's right about 2. I've had a really hard time detecting mood changes in the female so I don't normally know when she's about to lay or is receptive to breeding. I've made a few guesses about when to try breeding, but her reactions have been hit or miss and I'm not sure they've ever actually sealed the deal.

Good news though, this morning I caught her laying eggs! I've got them all laid out in vermiculite and am hoping they're fertile even though it's been a while since I last attempted to let the two breed.

I'd like to give her a fresh batch of the goods from the male. Unfortunately, like I said, I have a hard time telling when she might be receptive. How long should I wait after her egg laying before I begin to "test the waters" between her and the male again? I don't want to unnecessarily stress her due to my inability to read her.

I'm attaching a pic of the happy couple and the new eggs, cause everyone likes a little bit of eye candy ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpg
    IMG_2784.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4592.jpg
    IMG_4592.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 152
Most of the eggs look like they might be fertile.

Is give the female about a month and then hold the male outside the females cage and see how he female reacts to him. That way he's safe from attack if sheds not interested. If she s receptive/interested he can visit her but keep an eye on them at first...and take him out as soon as she starts acting aggressively.

Most of the eggs look like they might be fertile.

Is give the female about a month and then hold the male outside the females cage and see how he female reacts to him. That way he's safe from attack if sheds not interested. If she s receptive/interested he can visit her but keep an eye on them at first...and take him out as soon as she starts acting aggressively.

How does a fertile egg look different from a non fertile egg?

Some of the eggs look to be yellowing and have some kind of fungus. Is that fungus a result of something I have/n't done, and should I be worried about it spreading to the other eggs?

Attachments

• egg fungus.jpg
    egg fungus.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 112
No, I only blew the dust off with my mouth before laying them in the vermiculite. Although, now that I think of it some of them did fall out of a drainage hole in the lay-box and probably got hit by my mist-king.

You have a drainage hole that big?
The spray might be what's causing he problem. The eggs are said to have a protective coating on them and you may have washed it off.

Yea, the lay box is just a 2 or 3 gallon plastic plant pot so it has big drainage holes. I removed the fungus eggs and each one of them were crinkled on the sides, so I'm betting they were simply duds.

Back
Top Bottom