How long to keep a panther hungry to accept a new insect? Hunger strike w/ roach

Franquixote

Established Member
I just set up a new colony of orange heads because my panther would only take 1-2 dubias a week. This morning I knew he was hungry but just stared at 6 orange heads nymphs in his preferred range of size. As soon as I put a cricket in the feeding dish he snagged it- twice. Then I put a bunch more orange heads in a smaller cup so they would be really active but he still refused them. I finally put a large hornworm in a separate feeder cup and he grabbed it quickly.
I need to get him to eat the roaches. He has plenty of reserves right now, looks hydrated, etc.
I am thinking of cutting off the crickets and other feeders until he will take either a dubia or orange head.
He is about 4 1/2 months old right now. When I had him shipped at 3 months he was delayed in the mail for a day so hadn't eaten in at least 2 days when I got him so I know he can withstand the stress of being hungry.

How long would you cut off preferred food in an attempt to get him onto a new feeder? I am remodeling the enclosure this weekend and he will probably spend 1-2 days in a less than ideal enclosure while things are being redone in his main one.
Thoughts on the best way to do this? Should I wait until the dust settles so to speak before trying to get himm hungry enough to try something new?

A healthy cham can go a week or two without eating, so long as it's hydrated.

That being said, i tried not giving my cham any food as, just like you, i wanted him to eat roaches. I would try feeding him a dubia every other day, but a week later he still refused and i just gave up and returned to crickets.

Don’t cave in, they’re like spoiled children.

Assuming your cham is health that is...

He won’t starve himself to death. Offer the roaches, if uneaten after a hour take them out. Keep doing this and he will eventually break and eat. Just make sure he stays hydrated.

Yup, just like @Tortdad said he knows right now you will cave first, so you have to wait him out. Offer the roaches at specific times, if not eaten remove them. As long as he is well hydrated he can keep going. If you can do a measurement now, and then do one every week to keep track of any weight loss. He shouldn't lose more than a gram or two in this process.

Back
Top Bottom