how long to have lights on

foxymiche

hi all,

ive just gone and bought 2 24hr timer plug sockets and was wondering how long to have on each of my lights.

its for a baby chameleon and a i have a basking light and a UV light.

thanks for any help.

I usually go with the natural lighting cycle, and adjust it a bit throughout the year, depending on if I see my guys awaking/slumbering earlier. Usually this is ~10hrs. How old is your baby chameleon, and what are you keeping them in? The reason I as is usually if I'm keeping the babies/baby in a tub a basking light is usually way too much heat, unless you are very careful to appropriately distance it.

he is 3 inches long and i will be keeping him in a flexarium. (picking him up on weds). I only have a 40 watt light for my basking light to introduce him to it, should i not have one with him this young? he doesnt have one at the moment with his breeder.

Foxy you can choose to omit the basking light for now if you are concerned. Keep in mind little ones like that can quickly be over taken by heat and burns. With adequate spacing this is pretty unlikely to occur. If you don't have a basking light they will just move under the flourecent bulb.

I keep my lights on for around 13 hours in the summer and 11 hours in the winter. In both seasons they do wake up to natural sunlight from the window any where from 30 minutes to a hour before the inside lights come on.

Back
Top Bottom