How long should my misting system run for?

Ronald7232

Established Member
I was told to mist 3 minutes every 12 hours but it seems a but much for my plants and soil my mist machine is kinda heavy should i just do 1 minute every 12 hours and water the plants with a bottle if necessary?

I was told to mist 3 minutes every 12 hours but it seems a but much for my plants and soil my mist machine is kinda heavy should i just do 1 minute every 12 hours and water the plants with a bottle if necessary?
Hi there what species of chameleon? Do you have a drainage layer in the soil? Misting is more for the chameleon to drink... This is the goal so depending on species we need to make sure the set up is right for them.

Hi there what species of chameleon? Do you have a drainage layer in the soil? Misting is more for the chameleon to drink... This is the goal so depending on species we need to make sure the set up is right for them.
Im getting a panther chameleon this week, i have a super drainage system that took me so long to perfect it its a bottom based leca/ separate with charcoal and gravel, then my ABG/Bio bedding with spag moss :)

Im getting a panther chameleon this week, i have a super drainage system that took me so long to perfect it its a bottom based leca/ separate with charcoal and gravel, then my ABG/Bio bedding with spag moss :)
Sounds good. So your wanting to mist in the morning and in the evening. Typically 2-5 minutes each time depending on your ambient conditions, the cage setup, and the species.

What automatic mister did you get?

Can you post a pic of your enclosure for me please?

Sounds good. So your wanting to mist in the morning and in the evening. Typically 2-5 minutes each time depending on your ambient conditions, the cage setup, and the species.

What automatic mister did you get?

Can you post a pic of your enclosure for me please?
I'm not home at the moment I will send you picture of the misting and enclosure in about 2 hours, I heard that misting should be done around the same time you said "2-5 minutes" but people say at morning and night 30 minute before and after lights go on.

I'm not home at the moment I will send you picture of the misting and enclosure in about 2 hours, I heard that misting should be done around the same time you said "2-5 minutes" but people say at morning and night 30 minute before and after lights go on.
So some people do it prior to lights on and after lights are off. I don't do that. I happen to have a boy that will only drink if he sees the movement of the water. He will not go for water just sitting on leaves. So I mist 15 minutes after lights come on and then 2 hours prior to lights out with a follow up 30 minutes prior to lights out to build my humidity for the evening.

So some people do it prior to lights on and after lights are off. I don't do that. I happen to have a boy that will only drink if he sees the movement of the water. He will not go for water just sitting on leaves. So I mist 15 minutes after lights come on and then 2 hours prior to lights out with a follow up 30 minutes prior to lights out to build my humidity for the evening.
but couldn't heat and humidity together be an issue? no dry and hot or humid and no heat?

but couldn't heat and humidity together be an issue? no dry and hot or humid and no heat?
Yes it can... This is where my set up will differ from others and yours will differ from mine. In this hobby mimicking others can be helpful however it can also be harmful. This is due to my enclosure type and ambient house hold levels differ. Also I stagger my lighting. My heat lamp is only on for 5 hours during the day. Turns on after my cage has dried back out and turns off a few hours before my afternoon misting. This allows for temps to be reduced when I mist.

However the big risk is fogging while having lights on. This is where more health risks come from and why it is only advised at night with cool temps.

A lot of specific requirements 😭 when i get home im going to show u my enclosure so far and please help me to make sure i go tru 0 complications when my chameleon is ordered

Sure thing! There is a lot to it but once you get it down it comes easily. I am happy to help t
Sure thing! There is a lot to it but once you get it down it comes easily. I am happy to help though. ;)
Hey beman! These 2 videos is me turning on the mist (not on timer yet) and then how the enclosure looks! Its not finished as it needs a lot more plants on top but quite frankly i find it impossible to find any without using pots or dragon ledges :( (edit: i cant send videos… only pictures but if you give me your number i can send them tru there :)

Hey beman! These 2 videos is me turning on the mist (not on timer yet) and then how the enclosure looks! Its not finished as it needs a lot more plants on top but quite frankly i find it impossible to find any without using pots or dragon ledges :( (edit: i cant send videos… only pictures but if you give me your number i can send them tru there :)
I will private message you.

Back
Top Bottom