How long should a chameleon stay out of his cage?

Jordan S

I have a male veiled chameleon, and today he just got out of his cage in a few seconds! I let him out to go explore for a bit. Is this considered normal for chameleons? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 224
I would let him settle in before taking him out if you just got him today. Give him a few days/weeks. Mine likes to come out but I have had him for months now

I've had him for about 4 months now, I just wanted to check if it's normal to just burst out of his cage! He likes going outside but he still doesn't like to be handled :confused:

My guy just likes to go out, but if you ever try to grab him he sometimes hisses. I used to take him outside but now well he doesn't want to be on a hand :ROFLMAO:

If it's shaking, like it's off balance-ish, it could be a sign of MBD (metabolic bone disease) so if that's the case you need to get him to the vet for some antibiotics

It's a small buzz they give off when they feel threatened. My female does this more so than my males. Not a sign of MBD, no worries.

Also when my male basks he gapes his mouth open for about 5 seconds. But he doesn't have any respiratory infections since I don't hear gasp or pops.

as long as one should let a fish out of his tank

Really? I completely disagree with this. Chameleons only become more cage aggressive and defensive when not handled regularly. This has been the same in my experience with any of my reptiles.

I usually let my male hang out outside of his cage for an hour or so, but then I have to handle him since he doesn't want to come back in it by himself.

Also when my male basks he gapes his mouth open for about 5 seconds. But he doesn't have any respiratory infections since I don't hear gasp or pops.

What is his temperatures? I have always read when he gapes when he basks that is because its too hot.

Back
Top Bottom