How long can a female panther retain sperm??

KCcham

Hello all! I am curious how long you all have had a female panther retain sperm and lay a viable clutch? The last time one of my females was with the male was in December, and today laid the fourth clutch since that time. I have kept the last three, but did not know if this clutch was possibly viable???

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeffrey

Ill attempt to answer you even though Im still in the "researching" phase...

according to what Ive read...viable sperm can maintain in a panther for up to a year (extremely rare). The thing is..with each subsequent clutch the number of fertile eggs declines dramatically. Personal decision has to be made about it...

if I were you...

I would just keep breeding setting up mating 2 weeks after egglaying.... if I wanted more fertile clutches...

If I did not want any more clutches I would just throw them out after the first well fertilized set.

If you have an emotional obligation to the clutches, then 4 sets should above and beyond appease the moral standard of most balanced individuals and probably the 4th group may not have many eggs hatch if any. Though I caution you because if you have 90% of the eggs rotting unfertilized in my opinion can promote bacteria and fungus development which is not recommended.

because the female will usually lay eggs at the same rate eitherway unless you drop the temperature to 60 at night 70 in the day... (considered the "cold" season she will slow if not stop her egg laying rate during this time according to what Ive read) then its going to be the same stress on her if you are breeding her or not..so if you want more babies breed away. (again what Ive read..)

Having no personal experience with this sort of thing, I cannot speak for the accuracy. I just attempted to recycle the information I have found in my research because no one answered you.

Thanks so much for the answers!

Jan you are 2 posts away from 10,000!!!!!

The three clutches that I have in the incubators are all looking fine and none have molded or show signs of deteriation yet.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks so much for the answers!

Jan you are 2 posts away from 10,000!!!!!

The three clutches that I have in the incubators are all looking fine and none have molded or show signs of deteriation yet.

Thanks again for the feedback!

You're welcome and good luck with the eggs. My 10,000th post will be a poop pic. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom