How long before chameleons get used to you?

KevinN1

Hey everyone, I just recently got my first panther chameleon. He is still very young, about 7-8 weeks old. I was wondering how long it would take for him to get used to me as his owner? I've seen people post pictures and videos online of their "friendly" chameleons who don't hesitate to climb onto their owners. I'd love if mine would be as friendly with me. I know it takes time, but how long before I can expect him to feel comfortable with me? I've heard that handling them too much can actually repel them, and I don't want to make him scared of me, so is there anything I should/shouldn't do?

If you literally just got him I would give him a few days to a week before trying to pick him up. But don't hesitate to go up to the cage and talk to him when misting, the vibrations of your voice will become normal to him soon if you keep doing that. Also don't be afraid to reach in the cage when placing food in. Don't try to pick him up, but placing food in the cage and placing your hand in at the same time (without trying to hand feed) will teach him that you offer food. My cham has learned when I approach with the bag of dusted crickets he is getting fed and he gets excited (I've only had him two months). He came out by himself onto me the third day. It all depends on the cham in my opinion you can try hand feeding him his favorite feeders. Like worms, silkies or hornworms are always a favorite of chams and are actually good for them. Just don't force him to do anything. Let him settle in. If he doesn't want to eat from your hand don't keep putting it in his face.

Good Luck with your little one and don't worry about it, panthers are usually friendlier little guys

It's all about positive interaction with your boy.I prefer not to handle the chameleons the first week or so. The most aggressive panther youngster will most likely settle down. I bought a 5-6 month faly 3 months ago.He was and is far from nice and is very willing to bite& lunge at me. So I just talk to him softly telling him how pretty he is. About 3 weeks ago he finally started hand feeding. I feel in another 3 month of all positive interactions he will be ready to handle.Once you boy see's you are the food source. He will most likley turn into a big softy waiting for the next bug.

Sometimes never

Hey everyone, I just recently got my first panther chameleon. He is still very young, about 7-8 weeks old. I was wondering how long it would take for him to get used to me as his owner? I've seen people post pictures and videos online of their "friendly" chameleons who don't hesitate to climb onto their owners. I'd love if mine would be as friendly with me. I know it takes time, but how long before I can expect him to feel comfortable with me? I've heard that handling them too much can actually repel them, and I don't want to make him scared of me, so is there anything I should/shouldn't do?

I had a veiled I nursed back to health and he HATED me he tried to bite any chance he got. He would wait in his tree at the limb that was nearest the bed and when I would walk by to go to bed CHOMP!!!. My first panther loved us he came flying out of the cage anytime we opened it (which became a pain lol) my second panther lets me take him out and hold him but he does not climb out of the cage like my other boy did when we open it. It takes Ranger a while to come out unless I just grab him. I just got my 3rd panther after my first passed away he is scared of us (only 4 months old) but we just started to take him out (yesterday) and he calms down after a couple minutes. There is really no set time just keep working with him and offering a worm by hand once they trust you, you will be able to pick them up no problem (even if they don't like it). I hope this helps sorry there is no magic number of weeks or months but every one is different just like people.

That's a pretty wide range of behaviors lol I appreciate you sharing that though. It gives me somewhat of an idea of what to expect. Thank you! I've barely had my little buddy for a week, so I'll just keep patient and see how things go :)

That's a pretty wide range of behaviors lol I appreciate you sharing that though. It gives me somewhat of an idea of what to expect. Thank you! I've barely had my little buddy for a week, so I'll just keep patient and see how things go :)

You just need to build trust.....don't drop them

I would wait 4-5 weeks before handling. Don't stress him out, but be around often. Some people believe that giving them lots of space(when you first get him) is the way to go, I disagree. I believe it's good to frequently show your face to them and have hands moving around,(always move slow) as they get used to you you will notice personality changes and them becoming more comfortable around you. If you need to work on anything like homework, a small project (that don't include chemicals ect) do it around them. They will actually start to come down the tree or move around to see what you're doing. They are nosy little guys lol My Panther loves attention now, he will stick his hands out now to be held. Patience is the key!

Back
Top Bottom