How long and how much should I mist??

randomcham

I got my first chameleon yesterday, he's a veiled chamelon, and I was wondering if there was a general ammount of time I should mist his enclosure for and how often I should mist his home. Im currently misting his enclosure for 2 mintues before he wakes up, 6 minutues at noon, and then 2 again right before I turn off his lights. His humidity drops to a little above 30% in between his mistings right now and I was wondering if I should add 1 or 2 more misting sessions a day to or make his mistings longer if that would help?
(Im also going to pick up some plastic shower curtains today, because ive heard putting it arround 1-3 of the sides helps)

Well you are shooting to keep it around 40-50% during the day. And you want it waaaaaay up at night.

The next thing is to find out if your chameleon is a drinker and takes baths. If he does, you want a couple of 3-5min soaks during the day to promote drinking. Some will hide while the mister is running and come out after the rain. Others will run out while the mister is going off and drink directly from the air. Still others will come out during the rain and take "EYEBALL BATHS" which can be quite disturbing for first timers :)

Honestly, I think it's trial & error—whatever misting schedule works to achieve average day & nighttime humidities. For some, short sessions more often may do it, while others may need longer sessions less often. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I haven't needed to mist longer than 2 min. at a time, and that gives everything a pretty good soak; anything more would just run off and down the drain. But I did add an additional session during the night to keep that level up where it needs to be.

More live plants also help keep humidity up, both from more surface area to evaporate from, and from transpiration. ;)

Well you are shooting to keep it around 40-50% during the day. And you want it waaaaaay up at night.

The next thing is to find out if your chameleon is a drinker and takes baths. If he does, you want a couple of 3-5min soaks during the day to promote drinking. Some will hide while the mister is running and come out after the rain. Others will run out while the mister is going off and drink directly from the air. Still others will come out during the rain and take "EYEBALL BATHS" which can be quite disturbing for first timers :)
Okay, thanks for the tips! Im probably gonna go with four 3 minute mists durning the day to see how it goes and maybe more than 4 mists at night, and it does look like my chameleon likes hiding while his home is getting misted :)

Honestly, I think it's trial & error—whatever misting schedule works to achieve average day & nighttime humidities. For some, short sessions more often may do it, while others may need longer sessions less often. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I haven't needed to mist longer than 2 min. at a time, and that gives everything a pretty good soak; anything more would just run off and down the drain. But I did add an additional session during the night to keep that level up where it needs to be.

More live plants also help keep humidity up, both from more surface area to evaporate from, and from transpiration. ;)
I'll probably add another live plant to his enclosure, thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom