How locals are viewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so this might rock the boat a bit but the reason you have more genetic diversity say in Ambanja, or Ambilobe, and Sambava is because you do have a small number of crosses in and out on the fringe edge of the locale. By definition locales are general areas around a town, or island. This is why historically when you look at the Nosy locales (from small islands) you don't see the genetic diversity you see in the mainland locales. Now you have people transporting animals that shouldn't be on the islands to the said island...but this is a relatively speaking new problem. All Locales were produced by general population isolation based on geographical features. Which stems to reason that some locales are more perfectly isolated than others.

I have NO problem with people breeding crosses. Ed Kammer is the perfect example (in my opinion) of responsible breeding and crossing. He keeps track of what he crosses, the percentages he crosses and most of those animals are sold to customers that don't care about locale and want a pet or display animal. His Locales look like they should and this is due to breeding ethics. If things are crossed it is intentional because Ed wants to see what they will look like.

This whole thing comes back to breeding ethics if you come to the opinion that locales are important, which I do. We really should not be breeding WC females unless we want to hold on to the whole batch till they color up and we see what we have. When breeding CB animals (specially if it is a rare locale) we need to take a hard look at several of the males from the same clutch as the female we want to breed and be honest with ourselves about what we see and if the males (not just one) are pure. If the males all show signs of being pure we now have a proven female. This takes a much higher investment of time and money on the breeders side, or takes breeders really working together. When we want to cross back in new blood it should be done with WC males that we find to be good examples of the locale.

At least that is my .02 for what it's worth

Nope! Did enough babysitting yesterday, not happening again today.

Thread closed. Decision final. Please don’t start new threads as they will get closed as well. Guys this bickering HAS to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom