How is my setup looking? First cham arriving in the AM!

Hey guys! Ya'll may remember my previous posts of trying to get my first chameleon and not having great luck: the first developed an URI the day before I was supposed to pick up due to poor husbandry and then the 2-3 month old I ordered did not survive shipping. Well third time is a charm right!? My new cham is arriving in the morning so I'd like some input on my setup! I have already ordered a 48" UVB that is on the way (have the 30" on there until it arrives) and I haven't hung my grow light yet but other than those, how's it looking? I've been misting to try to lock down a good schedule to maintain humidity of over 60% and have also been measuring temp in different locations under the basking light to get an idea of the temp range on the different limbs/vines provided. With that being said, what is the ideal basking range for a 6-7 month old male panther. Any changes ya'll see that need to be made before he gets here? I'm so excited and want it to be perfect for him!

Attachments

• 20180711_154349.jpg
    20180711_154349.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 361
Looks pretty good, how are you handling drainage? Basking should be mid-high 80s. Also, Panthers do not need humidity maintained at higher than 60%. During the day it could even drop to 40%. A higher humidity at night is beneficial and natural. The idea isn't to create constant high humidity, but have it swing up and down.

Looks pretty good, how are you handling drainage? Basking should be mid-high 80s. Also, Panthers do not need humidity maintained at higher than 60%. During the day it could even drop to 40%. A higher humidity at night is beneficial and natural. The idea isn't to create constant high humidity, but have it swing up and down.
Oh great, good to know about the humidity because it wants to be in the low to mid 50s. Basking is 87-88 where the vines cross and I tried to set it up where he could move higher or lower under it to adjust temps. As for drainage, I'm still brainstorming on that one because the enclosure has odd dimensions but I'm thinking of getting one of the large underfed storage containers like this one and either cutting a hole in the top and installing a drain or taking the top off and cover it in screen and setting the plants on top of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180711-183313_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180711-183313_Chrome.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 238
I use those and put a small fountain pump inside. I have it pump the water into our backyard where I use it to water plants.

I was fortunate to have a small room right next to the backyard. I run a tube under the door that leads out back. The plants probably like the nutrient rich water as well. Excuse the humidifier and bin sitting next to the stand, it's a project in the works lol.

Attachments

• 20180711_200040.jpg
    20180711_200040.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 20180711_200016.jpg
    20180711_200016.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 237
I wish new keepers would actually finish, test their enclosure, and ask husbandry questions BEFORE they buy an occupant. This is a dangerous way to go about keeping an expensive, delicate creature. I hope everything arrives on time, and in time or your new chameleon may suffer.

I wish new keepers would actually finish, test their enclosure, and ask husbandry questions BEFORE they buy an occupant. This is a dangerous way to go about keeping an expensive, delicate creature. I hope everything arrives on time, and in time or your new chameleon may suffer.

This is exactly what I am doing. I am getting all the parts and plan to build everything up and run it for a little while empty to make sure the parameters are on target. I have the advantage of coming from the salt water fish world though and seen people kill a lot of expensive fish for this same reason.

My current snag is trying to get the drainage down and what stand to use. I was going to just make a bin in the bottom door of the reptibreeze and cover it with mesh so bugs cant go in but would prefer to have a stand and drill a hole but finding a nicer looking stand that is 24x24 isn't common. How much water drains down? Do you need to empty every day?

I plan on getting a Yemen and am excited to get it but will be patient because I want it to be healthy and happy. I have collected almost all the parts to get going. I was thinking of laying it all out and taking a photo to show new people what everyone here recommends since everything I have is what members recommended to get. It might help prevent a lot of the newbie questions like I asked all the time.

@jamest0o0 I love the stand you setup. Did you build that or buy it? Do you have a photo of the inside to see the drain setup?

@brightandshiny Your cage looks great and I am very sorry to hear about the little ones not making it to you. Keep us posted on the new one arriving. Maybe we can work thought the drain thing together. haha

@JoshD49 Can't take complete credit for building it. My buddy who does some carpentry helped make it nice. Wasn't difficult though. Wanted 2 feet of substrate for it.

Was looking for pictures, but couldn't find any unfortunately. It's just soil filled up inside of pond liner leading down into the bin through a hole I drilled out. I put some vinyl screen over the hole to keep the drainage layer from falling through.​

I thoroughly researched, asked questions for several weeks while trying to get my enclosure setup, and have a mentor that I am working with through the mentor program on the chameleon central page. I thought my enclosure was done other than drainage, which I am setting up right now. I have been nailing down a misting schedule and monitoring temps and humidity in all spots of the cage before his arrival to make sure I could maintain everything at proper ranges. I had asked previously if the 30" uvb would still be sufficient after building a larger cage and was falsely informed that it would be. I was told that the UVB really only needed to cover the basking spot as they naturally receive them both at the same time. I asked again just to be sure, as I was concerned it may have been misleading information, and that's when I was corrected. There are so many conflicting opinions on proper husbandry, its hard for new owners to gather the "correct" information. As soon as I was corrected on the matter, I placed the order. He still has a linear UVB, just a little short for the enclosure and the new one will arrive tomorrow so it will only be there for about 24 hours. At least it's not a compact right? I'm sorry to have upset you, but I am doing my best and I believe im doing better than many first time learning owners.

Your setup is in fact leaps and bounds better than most. My concern is receiving the chameleon before you know exactly how your enclosure will perform with heavy misting, the new lighting, heat, feeders, etc. My response was short tempered, and I apologize, again it looks like a great start. I just wish more people would take the approach of running their new “mini Madagascar or mini Yemen” for a few months before they add their inhabitants. I hate when intelligent, well intended keepers have major issues that could have been ironed out before they were really a problem. I feel like at least 50% of chameleon problems and deaths could be prevented with this. I’m very excited to hear you have a mentor, that’s huge. Again, sorry for the aggressive response, I get frustrated seeing the same sets of problems that should have been prevented, and I feel like I see the same general problems day in and day out.

Goose what about your post was helpful the the guy getting the chameleon?

Your enclosure looks good! I use a cool mist humidifier to keep the humidity up at night. I can’t wait to see photos of your new chameleon. ❤️

Thank you! I have one that runs in the same room, but not directly on the cage. He arrived today happy and healthy and full of energy! I could not be more pleased with him! Thank you so much for connecting me with Laurie and Bob, they are great and I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience! I will be posting pictures shortly as soon as my phone decides to let them upload

Goose what about your post was helpful the the guy getting the chameleon?
I suppose nothing. That was frustration over flowing. It’s a hard lesson I learned in the early 90’s with iguanas. But I stand firmly on the advice to any keeper creating a new habitat to complete, run, measure, and test all variables before adding a reptile. To the OP and all those offended, I really do apologize, I was very frustrated in that moment.

Your setup is in fact leaps and bounds better than most. My concern is receiving the chameleon before you know exactly how your enclosure will perform with heavy misting, the new lighting, heat, feeders, etc. My response was short tempered, and I apologize, again it looks like a great start. I just wish more people would take the approach of running their new “mini Madagascar or mini Yemen” for a few months before they add their inhabitants. I hate when intelligent, well intended keepers have major issues that could have been ironed out before they were really a problem. I feel like at least 50% of chameleon problems and deaths could be prevented with this. I’m very excited to hear you have a mentor, that’s huge. Again, sorry for the aggressive response, I get frustrated seeing the same sets of problems that should have been prevented, and I feel like I see the same general problems day in and day out.

You're right, I could've taken more time to test this enclosure but it was a last minute decision to upgrade my previous build to something much larger. Previous cage was 2×2×4 and I had it running with lights, heat, mist, etc for about 3 weeks but after my younger cham did not survive shipping and I found out I was going to get a bigger cham than originally thought, i decided to upgrade the enclosure to 25"×50"×70" since everyone says bigger is better and he was to be of size to handle a bigger enclosure. So this enclosure did not get run for very long like the previous. That is also why I had 30" UVB instead of larger, as it was perfect for my 2ft enclosure. Even with experienced owners I'm sure there are always a couple kinks to be worked out when moving to larger enclosures as the balance is totally different and yes, I probably should've allowed more time to test it out and not made a last minute decision to make the switch but I thought he would enjoy the larger build much more. I didnt realize it would be such a bad thing to do. I understand frustration can build and it had to come out eventually so i will not hold the harsh tones against you, just know I did have his best interest at heart and I am trying everything in my power to make sure I am the best cham owner I can be :)

You're right, I could've taken more time to test this enclosure but it was a last minute decision to upgrade my previous build to something much larger. Previous cage was 2×2×4 and I had it running with lights, heat, mist, etc for about 3 weeks but after my younger cham did not survive shipping and I found out I was going to get a bigger cham than originally thought, i decided to upgrade the enclosure to 25"×50"×70" since everyone says bigger is better and he was to be of size to handle a bigger enclosure. So this enclosure did not get run for very long like the previous. That is also why I had 30" UVB instead of larger, as it was perfect for my 2ft enclosure. Even with experienced owners I'm sure there are always a couple kinks to be worked out when moving to larger enclosures as the balance is totally different and yes, I probably should've allowed more time to test it out and not made a last minute decision to make the switch but I thought he would enjoy the larger build much more. I didnt realize it would be such a bad thing to do. I understand frustration can build and it had to come out eventually so i will not hold the harsh tones against you, just know I did have his best interest at heart and I am trying everything in my power to make sure I am the best cham owner I can be :)
I’m so sorry I didn’t realize you had recently upgraded, and had a prior enclosure that was tried and tested. That’s me jumping to conclusions. And honostly, a mentoring program, I had no idea, such a great thing for new keepers.

@brightandshiny man there are a lot of people that didn't even have a cage when they made the impulse purchase and brought it home only to find out there is a lot more to know then they anticipated. To be honest some of the veteran members did this and are very open about the trials they went though. You are doing the right thing by reading this forum and asking questions. You are taking peoples advice and not ignoring the answers you may not want to hear. That will go a long way to making friends here.

I have been on the fence a few times if owning a cham is possible for me after some of the advice but am still working though the challenges before I take the plunge. This forum has a lot of people that re very helpful and I applaud @Goose502 a lot for apologizing as I have seen way more aggressive posts on other forums and no apology.

I think @Goose502 is just very passionate about his reptiles, (and his replies and advice) he snarked at me in a post (and apologized, but also gave great advice)...these emotions occur when you have a passion for something. We’re all a group of strangers, different personalities and all, with a common interest...@brightandshiny your enclosure is WOW \0/...for me as a new member and keeper I learn lots just by reading others posts and ideas and looking at their pics,... using advice given to them for my little guy...Good luck (though it seems you are VERY well prepared) with your new Cham ! Lucky lucky Cham you’ve got there!

No offense intended to OP, I can tell they're going to do fine, but I see where Goose is coming from. For those here who are regularly helping thread after thread, the frustration definitely gets the best of you at times. While I think OP is working hard to get things right, many others don't, refuse to listen, fill out forms, only hear what they want to hear, etc. Sometimes we jump to conclusions thinking the worst because most people come here due to problems they caused.

Just trying to give people an understanding of why you see the aggressive posts at times.

Back
Top Bottom