How fast does a dripper need to be?

Hi there every one, I've got a 3-4 month old chameleon. He's pretty active and usually bright green, however I noticed his eyes are starting to get farther into the socket. From what I read this is commonly caused by dehydration, I mist his cage for about a minute 3-5 times a day and have a dripper running but Ive only seen him drink when I first got him. His urates are white and seem healthy, but I'm wondering if my dripper is fast enough. How fast does your guys' drippers drip?

Hi there every one, I've got a 3-4 month old chameleon. He's pretty active and usually bright green, however I noticed his eyes are starting to get farther into the socket. From what I read this is commonly caused by dehydration, I mist his cage for about a minute 3-5 times a day and have a dripper running but Ive only seen him drink when I first got him. His urates are white and seem healthy, but I'm wondering if my dripper is fast enough. How fast does your guys' drippers drip?
I have a big dripper that I run a gallon of distilled water through every day. Drops at least every second. I mist big time before I start the dripper. My guy will very seldom drink in front of me. Are you dripping it down foliage?

How is his poop? Is it runny at all?

I have a big dripper that I run a gallon of distilled water through every day. Drops at least every second. I mist big time before I start the dripper. My guy will very seldom drink in front of me. Are you dripping it down foliage?

How is his poop? Is it runny at all?
No, he pooped earlier today and it wasn't runny, and yes it will drip on to a leaf, onto a branch and through a couple more leafs

Have you tried giving him a few hornworms per week?
I've only had him for 5 days, so far I've only given him crickets and meal worms, he seems to really like the meal worms and today he ate for the first time out of a cup the I was holding without stressing out. I've also tried to give him lettuce and small pieces of apple but he hasn't touched either

I've only had him for 5 days, so far I've only given him crickets and meal worms, he seems to really like the meal worms and today he ate for the first time out of a cup the I was holding without stressing out. I've also tried to give him lettuce and small pieces of apple but he hasn't touched either
Hi there so you do not want to feed him meal worms because they are high in chitin and can cause impaction. How is the urate portion of his stool? This is the white liquid that comes out.
How long are you misting for?

If you want us to look over your husbandry to make sure you were given the right information please fill out this form with detail. Include pics of your cham and the enclosure lights down. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Like Geocham said, every second. I have a bioactive setup so I turn it off at night. My substrate cant hold that much water without leaking out of the enclosure. But I'd mist a ton. The shower method is also a possible solution if things dont get better. Just make sure you spray the water at the wall and let it bounce off onto the chameleon. Room temp water for 35-45 minutes while supervised.

1 drop every 5 seconds.

Have you tried giving him a few hornworms per week?
Can you get different size horn worms? Just asking cause I can only seem to find one basic size around my part of the planet,, and I still think might be too big for lil Cletus.

Can you get different size horn worms? Just asking cause I can only seem to find one basic size around my part of the planet,, and I still think might be too big for lil Cletus.

they come small, about 3/4 of an inch but grow RAPIDLY. rainbowmealworms sells them pretty small but i think i saw in a post that you are in canada and i think shipping is quite expensive.

i had mine for about a week and they grew to 2+ inches. i didn't keep them in the right temps though so my own fault.

they come small, about 3/4 of an inch but grow RAPIDLY. rainbowmealworms sells them pretty small but i think i saw in a post that you are in canada and i think shipping is quite expensive.

i had mine for about a week and they grew to 2+ inches. i didn't keep them in the right temps though so my own fault.
Hes growing fast, so maybe I will stick with the smaller superworms, till hes big enough for hornworms I can get locally. Im also kinda of brandlocal guy, if I can I try to spend my money with people I like, know and trust, plus Ive been dealing with them over them for years. No disrespect, nothing against anyone. Its just way I was raised

Hes growing fast, so maybe I will stick with the smaller superworms, till hes big enough for hornworms I can get locally. Im also kinda of brandlocal guy, if I can I try to spend my money with people I know and trust, nothing against anyone. Its just way I was raised

absolutely nothing wrong with that! small/local shops are normally the best places to go as they tend to care more about quality and probably know a little more rather than be more interested in making a quick buck.

unless they are getting their hornworms from somewhere else, they may have smaller ones if you ask?

absolutely nothing wrong with that! small/local shops are normally the best places to go as they tend to care more about quality and probably know a little more rather than be more interested in making a quick buck.

unless they are getting their hornworms from somewhere else, they may have smaller ones if you ask?
I totally agree. They are very helpful too. Even the breeder is local, lol. Im going to ask about the hornworms, couldnt hurt, thanks again

Back
Top Bottom